Honored Contributor

Re: Students Throw Covid Parties

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Kachina624   I've heard the thing.  Yet, as a general rule, we can hand a 12 yr. old a gun to go hunting here, at 16 we can hand them a license and let them get behind the wheel of a 2000 lb. weapon, they can enlist at 18 and fight for the country, vote at 18  for a president. 

Oh, by the way, their brains aren't developed until 25.  Huh!

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Strange Isn't it? I have heard from several different sources, but it was 23 for females and 25 for males.

Boy, I did a lot of things before I was 25. Served my 6 year US Army commitment/shot guns/voted and even had a hobby I loved.

But I paid for my lack of brain cells until I was 25 for my Auto Insurance. It was 25 or married for this Male. No accidents(still none 65 years later), but my mom didn't drive.

Think deep about this as I am talking back in 1955, you know what a dollar was worth then? A lot more than now. Anyways for a $500 Liability Deductible I was paying $250 every 3 months. Yep, $1000 a year just for Liability. Some of my friends had "totaled" cars and were paying $90 a year! 

Paid that till I was 25! They never said anything to me about brain cells, only that "married young men" were more mature! Hmm! 

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

There is so much stupidity going on these days it's hard to believe these kids even have parents.  Or maybe these are the "give everyone a trophy" kids grown up.  Either way, it's disgusting! 

@MomCat 

You are spot on! "Everyone gets a participation trophy"! No winners, can't hurt their self esteem. 

My niece and nephew loved teaching school, until the above. They both quit, she became a lawyer, my nephew did construction. My partner in my race car, also a teacher, quit and became an over-the-road truck driver.

Too many parents: "not my little sweety pie", and the School Administers? Backed the parents and their little "sweety pies". They all had enough and quit!

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Re: Students Throw Covid Partiest

Absolutely nothing surprises me anymore.  These kids are only as stupid as their adult role models.  As a NYer,  I'm furious that the rest of the country has been so arrogant and dismissive about the existence and spread of Covid 19.  We've worked so hard here to reduce the astronomical number of cases, have gotten them to near zero and now idiots from other states are bringing it back to us.  Wake up, people.  It's real.  You need a mask.  You need to social distance.  Stop being so selfish and self centered and start caring about other people.  

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@MomCat wrote:

There is so much stupidity going on these days it's hard to believe these kids even have parents.  Or maybe these are the "give everyone a trophy" kids grown up.  Either way, it's disgusting! 

@MomCat 

You are spot on! "Everyone gets a participation trophy"! No winners, can't hurt their self esteem. 

My niece and nephew loved teaching school, until the above. They both quit, she became a lawyer, my nephew did construction. My partner in my race car, also a teacher, quit and became an over-the-road truck driver.

Too many parents: "not my little sweety pie", and the School Administers? Backed the parents and their little "sweety pies". They all had enough and quit!

hckynut 🏒

Forty plus years in education.  Some parents wear blinders and don't care about any other kid but their own. They want rules for everyone except them.  They are like a bad itch and never, ever give up until they get their way.  I could fill a book with parent stories.  It's very disheartening, especially when administrators cave and give in to the parent demands.  

Honored Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Absolutely nothing surprises me anymore.  These kids are only as stupid as their adult role models.  As a NYer,  I'm furious that the rest of the country has been so arrogant and dismissive about the existence and spread of Covid 19.  We've worked so hard here to reduce the astronomical number of cases, have gotten them to near zero and now idiots from other states are bringing it back to us.  Wake up, people.  It's real.  You need a mask.  You need to social distance.  Stop being so selfish and self centered and start caring about other people.  

@Jaspersmom 

I guess it depends which role models you mean. I am positive there are a lot of worried parents staying home and wearing masks, etc. while their rebellious offspring flock to COVID-19 parties and skip all suggested safety practices.

It is a sad state our country is in. 

Honored Contributor

@Jaspersmom 

Really? Seems like every time I watch the news there are big gatherings blocking bridges/camping out and roaming the streets shoulder to shoulder. Some masked, others not!

Somebody there must not be doing their share of the hard work, or maybe all those campers are from California and other far away stateds I'll have to think about this one. Ok, I am done thinking!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Re: Students Throw Covid PartiestThe

@willdob3 wrote:

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@Jaspersmom 

I guess it depends which role models you mean. I am positive there are a lot of worried parents staying home and wearing masks, etc. while their rebellious offspring flock to COVID-19 parties and skip all suggested safety practices.

It is a sad state our country is in. 

It's not an indictment of all parents, but quite a few adults are ignoring the protocols, recommendations, rules, etc.   Young people will do stupid things (yeah, I was once young,too), but they will often look to the adults to see what they're doing and take their cue from them. 

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Jaspersmom 

Really? Seems like every time I watch the news there are big gatherings blocking bridges/camping out and roaming the streets shoulder to shoulder. Some masked, others not!

Somebody there must not be doing their share of the hard work, or maybe all those campers are from California and other far away stateds I'll have to think about this one. Ok, I am done thinking!

hckynut

Not sure what you're point is, but NY is also a STATE.  You are making reference to NYC.  My area which is outside of the city has done a phenomenal job of reducing numbers and we are in a much better place.  We want to keep it that way.  

Respected Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@MomCat wrote:

@MomCat 

hckynut 🏒

Forty plus years in education.  Some parents wear blinders and don't care about any other kid but their own. They want rules for everyone except them.  They are like a bad itch and never, ever give up until they get their way.  I could fill a book with parent stories.  It's very disheartening, especially when administrators cave and give in to the parent demands.  

Having worked in the school system myself for years and years, I could also write a book about negligent parents. Many I've seen don't EVEN care about their own.

Honored Contributor

Some, not all, parents don't want to 'ask' or 'tell' their children, adults or not, to do anything.

I've seen it happen a few or more times. 

Parents retrieving their trash bins, etc., while the adult children are inside, texting or whatever.

Some walk right by the empty bins left in the street in front of their driveways.   

It's a matter of routine.  If mom and dad (mostly moms) do all of the work, well.........what can we expect from the children?

Kids are easily brain-washed, and doing nothing is a lot easier than getting up off their ....... and helping out.

Don't ask me how I arrived at these thoughts, just thinking, as usual...............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).