Honored Contributor

Re: Student at WVU arrested after he threatened to go on shooting spree....

Schools, churches, theaters, the workplace, sporting events, and on and on it goes. The streets and highways aren't very safe either. 

Honored Contributor

My Walmart used to stay open 24 hours. But because of recent activity involving guns at that store, it now closes at 11p and doesn't open until 5am. That store has a reputation for having high crime activity, inside and outside the store. It's the only Walmart in my city that doesn't stay open 24 hours....and for good reasons.

Esteemed Contributor

Even with textbook answers, I don't understand.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I will admit that I am scared quite a bit.  I don't go out after dark.  I watch where I park in daylight.  Watching all around me.....

I never thought I would be like this, but the older I get, the worse it gets.

Chiildren and school violence.  It breaks my heart that my youngest Granddaughter is 8 years old.  Last year she had to learn how to balance on the toilet seat in her school bathroom so her legs could not be seen behind the stall door.....Makes me Cry.  Smiley Sad

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

As long as there are gun-free zones, there will be no safe environments.

Sorry, @SilleeMee , but I could not disagree more.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

As long as there are gun-free zones, there will be no safe environments.

@SilleeMee   Do you mean that there will be no safe environments as long as there are NO gun-free zones??

I'm missing something here.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When there are gun-free zones, that means there is no way to protect people in those zones when a security official, or someone trained to carry, is prohibited from carrying. This gives the attacking gunman opportunity to shoot at sitting ducks...and ducks don't carry guns and if they did then they would shoot back. I would shoot an attacking gunman in a NYM.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

When there are gun-free zones, that means there is no way to protect people in those zones when a security official, or someone trained to carry, is prohibited from carrying. This gives the attacking gunman opportunity to shoot at sitting ducks...and ducks don't carry guns. 

@SilleeMee   Ah, I see what you are saying. 

However, we cannot prove that all these mass shootings would have been stopped or at least minimized if a trained person had been on the premises.

Some who carry legally can be on those premises, though.  It depends upon where you live.  You may not, e.g., enter a school building with your concealed handgun but you can have one in your car in the school parking lot or other school premises, as long as no school activity is happening in the parking lot, fields, sidewalks, etc.

So technically the building may be a gun-free zone but the whole school premises are not.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I think that only specified people trained in this very different type of assault should be allowed on campuses. Even then, it's hardly a guarantee of safety. But other than that, no weapons.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland