Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

First, I must say I've heard of men and women referred to as strong (as well as weak) so I'm not sure why we need to define what a strong woman is.  My definition of a strong PERSON is one who works hard, tends to themselves and their family, is confident with their opinions, while accepting other viewpoints.  Somebody might ask whether a person with mental or physical challenges could be defined as strong. Absoultely!! because they learn how to compensate for perceived weaknesses in ways I never could.

@AuntG, I agree with you, but as I said in my opening post, this thread was sparked by reading a comment in another thread earlier today.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby Through lots of introspection and therapy I've learned how to be more assertive. Because of double standards women do pay a price for being assertive far more than men do. I've experienced that in a very painful way recently.

I'm a strong woman, stronger than I ever thought possible. Things I've been through over the past five years would have crushed many people. I keep going because of the love and example of my late Mom. Strongest woman I've ever known and will ever know.

Being strong is often exhausting though, especially with very little support. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Be that as it may, my idea of a strong woman is one who is not fearful when it comes to speaking her mind, doesn't allow her gender to dictate how she lives her life, tries to be competent and independent, and makes life choices based on desire rather than fitting into a particular gender-related box.

@suzyQ3  A strong person, either woman or man, is defined by not giving in to his or her desires, but by deciding to do the right thing. Desires will usually lead you in a dangerous direction. 

Valued Contributor

Thought provoking, my view of strength doesn't have an actual list of behaviors like the opening post does.  Strength applies to both genders equally, the way it is expressed varies according to the circumstance.  True strength isn't challenged by the behavior of others .  The trait that best exhibits a strong person to me is someone with the ability to manage their ego. 

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Be that as it may, my idea of a strong woman is one who is not fearful when it comes to speaking her mind, doesn't allow her gender to dictate how she lives her life, tries to be competent and independent, and makes life choices based on desire rather than fitting into a particular gender-related box.

@suzyQ3  A strong person, either woman or man, is defined by not giving in to his or her desires, but by deciding to do the right thing. Desires will usually lead you in a dangerous direction. 

@PA Mom-mom, do you think that my desire to go against my mother's antiquated opinion that women who go to college just take away a man's spit led me in a dangerous direction?

Doesn't it all depend upon what the desire is? And isn't the "right thing" a very subjective phrase?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@persiflage wrote:

Thought provoking, my view of strength doesn't have an actual list of behaviors like the opening post does.  Strength applies to both genders equally, the way it is expressed varies according to the circumstance.  True strength isn't challenged by the behavior of others .  The trait that best exhibits a strong person to me is someone with the ability to manage their ego. 

Very true, @persiflage . But keep in mind that my opening post was based on a previous comment I had read today to which I took objection. So I did give a brief list of what I though might constitute a strong woman. Of course, as you stated, it is based on circumstance

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 

I think it is time to stop defining ourselves by gender.  How I am shouldn't be classified as how I am as a woman (as a woman is a phrase I HATE).

People should be accepted for who they are--how kind, mean, talented, productive, lazy, smart, assertive, or anything else.  

Be who you want to be--as a human being.  Quit worrying about who or what holds you back, or who won't let you do this or that.  Spend more time figuring how to get where you want to be in life, and more importantly WHO you want to be and get to work on it! 

People can let all sorts of things hold them back, and they can do anything to climb to the top, or anything in between.  We have a lot of choice about our lives.  More than we might think.  But it isn't always easy. 

Honored Contributor

I see inner strength as being separate from the way a person communicates. You can be forceful or soft spoken and still be very strong inside.

I come across as quite easy-going in person, but I have solid boundaries that I defend absolutely--with a smile and even a joke, but I don't allow them to be overstepped. So I know I have inner strength, but my delivery is fairly soft. I don't consider it superior to being pointed or loud, just my personal style. And I don't feel obligated to be soft just because I'm a woman. I associate with several men who also deliver their strength in a quiet manner.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@LoveMyBaby Through lots of introspection and therapy I've learned how to be more assertive. Because of double standards women do pay a price for being assertive far more than men do. I've experienced that in a very painful way recently.

I'm a strong woman, stronger than I ever thought possible. Things I've been through over the past five years would have crushed many people. I keep going because of the love and example of my late Mom. Strongest woman I've ever known and will ever know.

Being strong is often exhausting though, especially with very little support. 

@Greeneyedlady21  

It is - it really is - no question. Until youve walked in those shoes...one has no idea. I get it. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain I'd like to be like you, and in some ways I am. Any personal boundaries I set are adhered to! When something can be either/or, then I take a more relaxed approach.