Honored Contributor

Thankfully, I don't need anyone to provide the definition of strong women to me. 

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Thankfully, I don't need anyone to provide the definition of strong women to me. 

That's good, @RetRN . We all have to decide that for ourselves.

I did see your definition in another thread today. Smiley Happy

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Strong women

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3,yes it is good as strong women think for themselves.  

Thinking for oneself is never outdated.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@suzyQ3,yes it is good as strong women think for themselves.  

So true, @RetRN -- sometimes even with a assertion or even aggression, if needed.

Glad we see eye to eye.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

The double standard is alive and well, sadly it always will be.

I've had problems in my life and I still do because of the sexist ways in which I was raised...to not be assertive is one of them. It's so painful to not feel you're worth standing up for yourself. 

@Greeneyedlady21   And we should be able to be assertive.  It sometimes is difficuit for ladies to be assertive.  We were raised to be either meek or mean.  Those of us with good upbringing chose meek, unfortunately.  I wish I had my mother's asssertive genes.  She was never aggressive or mean.  She was never common but she walked into the bank and said "I want a loan."  She got a loan.  She walked in the bank and said "I want to buy that 3000 acres of land."  She was asked what she was going to do with it while the banker was writing her a check.  I either come off too meek or too aggressive and I do wish I had that never complain, never explain gene that makes women who succeed on their own assertive.  I think part of that is in our DNA.  My sisters have it.  My daughter has it.  I don't have it.  I appear mousey or confrontational.

ag·gres·sive
/əˈɡresiv 
Ready or likely to attack or confront; characterized by or resulting from aggression.
"he's very uncooperative and aggressive"

Similar:
hostile; belligerent; bellicose; antagonistic; truculent
Trusted Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I've had problems in my life and I still do because of the sexist ways in which I was raised...to not be assertive is one of them. It's so painful to not feel you're worth standing up for yourself. 

@Greeneyedlady21 

It IS painful, to watch in others. Watching someone who feels unworthy not be able to assert themselves in a dysfunctional relationship. I grew up watching too many relatives like that - thankful I'm not one.

I think you either are or aren't strong. Not something that can be taught/learned. Its just in you. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21   And we should be able to be assertive.  It sometimes is difficuit for ladies to be assertive.  We were raised to be either meek or mean.  Those of us with good upbringing chose meek, unfortunately.  I wish I had my mother's asssertive genes.  She was never aggressive or mean.  She was never common but she walked into the bank and said "I want a loan."  She got a loan.  She walked in the bank and said "I want to buy that 3000 acres of land."  She was asked what she was going to do with it while the banker was writing her a check.  I either come off too meek or too aggressive and I do wish I had that never complain, never explain gene that makes women who succeed on their own assertive.  I think part of that is in our DNA.  My sisters have it.  My daughter has it.  I don't have it.  I appear mousey or confrontational.

ag·gres·sive
/əˈɡresiv 
Ready or likely to attack or confront; characterized by or resulting from aggression.
"he's very uncooperative and aggressive"

Similar:
hostile; belligerent; bellicose; antagonistic; truculent

@Nonametoday, I thought you might enjoy the wonderful world of meanings. Here are the synonyms for "aggressive" from the MW dictionary. Quite the gamut, eh?

Synonyms

Honored Contributor

I've overlooked another hallmark of a strong woman: She doesn't allow her identity to depend upon anyone else; she doesn't let herself become an appendage to anyone.

Honored Contributor

First, I must say I've heard of men and women referred to as strong (as well as weak) so I'm not sure why we need to define what a strong woman is.  My definition of a strong PERSON is one who works hard, tends to themselves and their family, is confident with their opinions, while accepting other viewpoints.  Somebody might ask whether a person with mental or physical challenges could be defined as strong. Absoultely!! because they learn how to compensate for perceived weaknesses in ways I never could.

Respected Contributor

I am a strong woman married to a strong man. Considering all the storms we are weathering, I am grateful that we  can share our  strength with each other 😊