Respected Contributor

Stress test and echo cardiogram - anyone do this?

Had it done yesterday.  All went well but Holy Cow was that ever a challenge to reach my target number!  And what a difference in my stamina from the previous one 7 years ago.  On that one I could've kept going.  Yesterday as soon as they told me I'd reached my target I couldn't wait to get off that treadmill and into the bed for the echocardiogram. 

My older brother went for this procedure in 2019 and they stopped the test, ran a different test, admitted him and performed Quad bypass the very next day.  So I was really nervous to go through this.  Older brother's a tall, slender guy who jogs almost every morning for 45-60 mins and he's done this for 40 years. But heart problems run on my dad's side so all of my sibs and I know we're at risk. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Stress test and echo cardiogram - anyone do this?

I had a stress echo a few months ago. It was a workout for sure! 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I did that several years ago.  It definitely was a challenge!  Glad you checked out o.k. though!

Esteemed Contributor

My former cardiologist scheduled the stress test. I did horribly - and stopped it right in the middle of it. My heart was going crazy and I felt horrible. My doctor was ticked off at me and berated me - too bad. My PCP referred me to another cardiologist and he diagnosed my extra heartbeat. I have bad memories of that stress test and do not regret refusing to complete it. BTW, I had also gone through the "nuclear" stress test. Enough was enough.

Respected Contributor

@Kalli what was the reson for this test?

Honored Contributor

I had something like that several years ago.  Not sure if it was a full stress test or not.  I told them before they started that I would have difficulty if they got me up to a run, but they didn't take it that far.  I think the main purpose was to get my heart rate up to a certain rate and then see how quickly it dropped back down becaue my resting heart rate was at 37.  I also had an echo and the doctor said I had some leaky valves but that was to be expected at my age.  Made me sound like an old car. Turned out my problem was a thyroid issue, not a heart issue.

Then, several years later I was complaining about being really fatigued and my doctor sent me to another place that also put me on the treadmill.  That one was even easier, but I had started doing some running at the gym, so that could be the reason.  This time it turned out that my problem was low Vitamin D  

Respected Contributor

@tobes There were a few times I wondered if I was having shortness of breath going upstairs.  Two ECGs were inconclusive and couldn't rule out a possible problem. Add family history to this. Dr. recommended the procedure.

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

My former cardiologist scheduled the stress test. I did horribly - and stopped it right in the middle of it. My heart was going crazy and I felt horrible. My doctor was ticked off at me and berated me - too bad. My PCP referred me to another cardiologist and he diagnosed my extra heartbeat. I have bad memories of that stress test and do not regret refusing to complete it. BTW, I had also gone through the "nuclear" stress test. Enough was enough.

i had a similar situation with a stress test....told the cardiologist i had 2 arthritic knees that needed to be replaced...he insisted i have the test.....it took the nurses longer to hook me up to the treadmill....than the time i was actually on it.....my knees couldn't take it!  the doctor was annoyed....so i told him he was FIRED......back then i did what i was told....now i make my own decisions......

Respected Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

@tobes There were a few times I wondered if I was having shortness of breath going upstairs.  Two ECGs were inconclusive and couldn't rule out a possible problem. Add family history to this. Dr. recommended the procedure.

You might ask for a "CT cardiac score" that estimates the amount of calcium that may or may not be built up in the coronary arteries. Your measurement gives your risk factor for blockage. 

It takes about 10 minutes with your clothing on and no IV dye.

Interesting thing is that most insurance does not cover this test fo the out of pocket is about $200.00

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@granddi  I have had that CT Cardiac score.  Yes it was very easy. Insurance does not pay, Medicare does not pay. Cost me $100.