Respected Contributor

Strawberry Cream and Chocolate for Toni

[ Edited ]

@SportyShorty07

IMG_2176.JPGimg002.jpgimg003.jpg

This strawberry cream and chocolate confection is a re-creation of my very favorite dress that I wore at six years old.

Our grandmother bought these dresses for my cousin and me. One dress in yellow and one dress in pink. The top is nylon, trimmed with lace and polka dotted skirt is taffeta. The dress had a brown patent leather belt.

My first Toni doll is in the picture with me.

For several years, I had been wanting to re-create this dress, for Toni. I began my search for the materials, last November.

I found vendors on Etsy. First I found the three different kinds of French Valenciennes lace.

Then from a vendor in Canada, I purchased a vintage 1950's pink nylon apron for the top and sleeves of the dress.

Lastly, after a long search for taffeta, none could be found. So I looked for an alternative fabric that would have the same sheen as taffeta.

From a vendor in China, I found silk charmeuse, brown with pink polka dots.

Pink cotton fabric is lining the top of the dress,

with the puffed sleeves left sheer.

Not being able to make a brown patent leather belt, brown satin ribbon seemed to be the logical choice, to tie at her waistline.

These two delicate fabrics were a challenge to work with as the edges frayed, while sewing. After three days, I finished and I am pleased with the results.

Toni seems to be happy with her new dress, too. She is ready for the next special occasion.

Respected Contributor

Re: Strawberry Cream and Chocolate for Toni

@Enufstuff  Toni's dress is a perfect replica of your original. You are a wonderful artist. Thank you for sharing.

Trusted Contributor

@Enufstuff You replicated the dress beautifully. I love your old pictures. Where was the one of you and your cousin taken?

Esteemed Contributor

@Enufstuff  

I love polka dots, particularly on a brown background.  It seems to make them more sophisticated.

Your devotion to finding just the right fabric is amazing.  I just cannot imagine all the searching you've done over the years.  However, the results speak for themselves.

While Toni is precious, it was the pictures of you and your cousin as children that made me misty-eyed.  So sweet and happy in your pretty little dresses.

What a special childhood memory.

The little puff-sleeved pink top is so sweet.  What a gem!

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff ,  all I can say is, wow!   What a splendid job of bringing your dress to Toni.  Love hearing about your meticulous sourcing of materials, etc.   I love chocolate browns and blush tones together, in decorating as well.

The excited and adorable real little girls, you and your cousin, are fun to see too!

Honored Contributor

Love your work, and, Toni always looks sooo pretty!

Thanks for posting!

Free PNG HD Smiley Face Thumbs Up - PlusPNG | Emoji drawing ...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Enufstuff, What a wonderful treat for the eyes to start our day!  Your attention to the tiniest detail, superb sewing skill,

and your ability as a seamstress and fiber art - well, Toni is a sweet treasure.

The picture of you and your cousin, and the picture of you as a little girl are both beautiful.  Such a little darling you were, as well as your cousin.  And we can all see the joy of little girls 

treasuring their doll.  Speaking for myself, and likely many others, we have such fond memories of playing with our favorite dolls.

Thank you for sharing!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LuvSoCal   Thank you very much.

That picture was taken at a baseball/football

field at one of the high schools, in our city.

It is a large park, with a playground and  basketball and tennis courts at the other side of the high school.

When my children were little, I took them to that

playground. My son also played Little League Baseball

at that field.

Every Summer, I took my children to a carnival   

that was held at the park.

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT 

Thank you very much. I'm glad that you enjoyed seeing Toni's new dress and my old pictures.

Our grandmother gave us our Toni Dolls for Christmas.

My cousin's doll had black hair. She didn't have it with her that day.

I always seem to have had a doll with me, in most of my pictures. Toni or Ginny went everywhere with me at that age.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Enufstuff    Another stunning creation!  I love the old pictures.  It makes wonderful memories for you I'm sure.  When I moved into my family home, I didn't realize my dad had a few pictures of us as small children on his fridge.  Lots of wonderful memories.  Toni looks fabulous as always.  Thank you!