Honored Contributor

Strange phone call early this Sunday Morning

I was in a room of the house with no caller ID so I picked up the phone... it was about 9 AM. It was the voice of an older man.... asking why I was calling him three times.... Yelling at me on the phone. Asking who I was.

I hung up on him.  He called back.... and was yelling at me again.  I told him I never called him and hung up on him. He sounded so angry.

Thankfully he never called back... On the caller ID HIS number was a local area here where I live.

I am assuming  that he was spoofed as I have been with a name and number calling that is not that person but it shows up on the caller id as that person calling... we have had that happen to us often.  Even showing MY HUSBANDS name calling us from our number LOL!

I would guess that because this man sounded elderly on the phone, he was thinking we( our number was calling and not leaving a message when he did not answer.... usually on the spoof calls it is  a recording for a bank  or some advertising for fixing debt or  such... junk calls.... if you do pick up and has no relation to the number showing on the caller ID.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Strange phone call early this Sunday Morning

I recently had a message from a nearby Government facility returning MY call to them. It had to have resulted from a scam call as I was the only one here and I didn’t make the call.  I considered calling to tell them them but it was after work before a long weekend and I decided calling to clear it up when they returned to work would just be confusing. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Our number was spoofed once and we were left a nasty message on our answering by the person that was being bothered.  

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Our number was spoofed once and we were left a nasty message on our answering by the person that was being bothered.  

You would think most people GET IT  that it is a spoof call... but some people really think it is the caller on the caller id calling.....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Having recently been called by my own phone number and not realizing what was going on,  he probably had no idea that your number was being spoofed.  I guess I would have tried to explain it to him.

Frustrating on both ends.

Valued Contributor

The spoofers are definitely getting creative. Same here. I had a woman leave me a voicemail telling me she did not have a student loan and  if I ever called her again she would sue me. Considering my vm message is a standard personal one guess she didn't realize. 

Honored Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

Having recently been called by my own phone number and not realizing what was going on,  he probably had no idea that your number was being spoofed.  I guess I would have tried to explain it to him.

Frustrating on both ends.

@HerRoyaLioness     I calmly tried to talk to him but he was yelling at me and would not let me speak... thus I hung up on him.

Respected Contributor

A few times I've had someone call me asking if I called them.  I told them I hadn't made any calls that day and hung up.  They didn't call back. 

Honored Contributor

DH’s iPhone’s number must have belonged to a deadbeat in the past. He is always getting calls from debt collection agencies, women asking him for money, or men asking him to bring the beer for the party. They always leave voicemails (which I am told is very uncool to do) so we like to listen to them and imagine this man is nothing like DH!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It was spoofing, those calls came through with your phone number.  I've had scam attempts come through with our local library's number and a health center number.  If the call goes to voicemail, they don't leave  a message.  That's why the man called you. He had no way of knowing that it wasn't you.  It's common now, so common that it's no big deal.