Honored Contributor

Re: Strange calls new cell phone

When I got my new cell number 12 years ago, it had belonged to “Robert”. I got several calls over the first couple of years asking for Robert and wanted to know where he was. I figure he owed lots of money to someone. Anyway the calls for Robert have stopped.

Honored Contributor

@glb613wrote:

@qualitygalwrote:

They need to retire these old subscribers before they pass phones on, like they do baseball uniform numbers.

They have already run out of phone numbers.  Many parts of the country require you use the area code even when calling local numbers to be able to add new numbers to be used.  For example:

1-312-555-5555

1-314-555-5555

1-608-555-5555

are all different numbers. 

@glb613

That happened in my area. I was so happy that I was notified by the phone company that they had run out of numbers and I was getting a brand new number with a new area code.......But it didnt take the telemarketers with their automated dialers to find my number .....so call blocker and dont answer unless I know the number, my family/friends leave messages and I call them back........Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I use my phone like you do @SharkE.  I never turn it on so a charge lasts weeks.  I mentioned this in a post once and somebody thought it was hysterically funny.  My phone...I'll use it as I wish.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@OKPrincesswrote:

When I got my new cell number 12 years ago, it had belonged to “Robert”. I got several calls over the first couple of years asking for Robert and wanted to know where he was. I figure he owed lots of money to someone. Anyway the calls for Robert have stopped.

About a year ago, I bought a Tracfone for my young (elementary school-age) daughter. Apparently, the number had recently belonged to a young woman with an active social life. Before long, the "hook-up" texts were coming in with some regularity.

I called Tracfone customer service and spoke to a rude representative who was not helpful, so I took matters into my own hands and called the texted numbers. In each case, I spoke to a young man. I told them that the number they were texting belonged to a child and that I was certain they did not intend to be communicating with a child.  In each case, they were very polite and extremely apologetic. After that, the texts ended.

Honored Contributor

@Highlands72wrote:

@OKPrincesswrote:

About a year ago, I bought a Tracfone for my young (elementary school-age) daughter. Apparently, the number had recently belonged to a young woman with an active social life. Before long, the "hook-up" texts were coming in with some regularity.

I called Tracfone customer service and spoke to a rude representative who was not helpful, so I took matters into my own hands and called the texted numbers. In each case, I spoke to a young man. I told them that the number they were texting belonged to a child and that I was certain they did intend to be communicating with a child.  In each case, they were very polite and extremely apologetic. After that, the texts ended.

DH and I both have Tracfone’s for at least 3 yrs and we kept our old numbers. I no longer get calls for Robert but that freaked me out at first. At least you were able to get the texts under control. That’s really scary especially since there is a child involved. My kids had pagers when they were younger. Cell phones didn’t exist.

Honored Contributor

That is a drag.  Smiley Sad

I've had the same cell # since 1994 so I have never encountered a call from somebody looking for a person with that # so I might have been the first.  It was a hand-picked # so I would not like having to change it.

Once, however, some 10+ years ago a lady was calling me looking for somebody and she swore up and down that he gave her that number (older woman looking for younger relative).

I kept telling her that not only am I not he but I've had that number for so many years, so could it have been an old # for this person?  Nope, current.  I guess either he messed up giving it to her or she messed up writing it down.   I was really glad when she finally backed off but I don't think she believed me.  Odd, that.

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnieluwrote:

I researched my new cell phone number.  Seems it was owned before by three people.  In any case I just got a text message about a receipt to a restaurant.  I ignored it.  A day ago I got a scam bill for $400 (email).  Seems I had no choice since my Sprint plan was too good to pass up.  However I HAD TO CHANGE MY BELOVED NUMBER.  

Providers should be made to hold phone numbers longer than they do.  What a mess.  

Sprint might have a call block feature. You should  contact the  company.

Esteemed Contributor

When DD first got a cell phone years ago she would get invited to poker parties, etc., all the time.  Then someone contacted the number about buying some pot.  I realized that that was probably the reason the guy didn't have the phone anymore...in jail!  haha  The poker players were all very apologetic about the calls and texts and sometimes one or two would get through and again they would apologize.  The person interested in the pot never responded when I told him/her that person no longer owned the phone.   Fortunately she was excellent in that whenever she would get a call or text from someone she didn't know she would automatically hand me the phone and let me know.   Years ago we got the landline # of the Active 20/30 club for the area and those calls were non-stop.  That took forever to stop and were a complete pain. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

I use my phone like you do @SharkE.  I never turn it on so a charge lasts weeks.  I mentioned this in a post once and somebody thought it was hysterically funny.  My phone...I'll use it as I wish.

Mine has 4,000 minutes on it hahhahaha

Respected Contributor

My parents had the same number for over 40 yrs. They were active in many, many community volunteer organizations from the early 70s until 2 years ago. Dad was also the zoning officer for the township, responsible for issuing all building permits. 

When we had to move them to a nursing facility we canceled the old number. Apparently the phone company quickly turned around and issued it to a married couple whose life immediately became a living h*ll with calls flodding in about all kinds meetings and info for my parents. 

Living in a small town you tend to find out about that kind of thing. I think that number is now discontinued. I feel so bad for those unlucky folks.