Valued Contributor

Re: Strange Request from a co-worker...

Another way to look at this specific situation. He is asking permission, which implies he will not bring his gun into the building if he is not given the okay to do so. If he were intending something nefarious, he would not ask. And as I said, well trained, responsible gun owners do not cause problems. For those that can't tell who those are, they are the people standing near you in the check out line at the grocery store, or any other place you go, and you have no idea they are carrying. We do not advertise or wave our guns around. Stupid irresponsible people are everywhere, and usually you can spot them, because they are calling attention to themselves.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I think it's a strange request. No I wouldn't grant it. I'm sure many gun owners obtain their weapon properly and are stable individuals who handle the weapon appropriately, but all it takes is one whack job

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Isn't it illegal to have a loaded gun in the glove box?

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Very strange under the circumstances.  There would be a high risk of him shooting a co-worker if there was a confrontation and the owner would get sued big-time.  I hope tthe boss nixed that idea big-time.  That why we pay for cops, and it's their job.

Response time is usually over five minutes, and that's if they're nearby.  It's too late by the time the crime is starting, but it can be shortened by someone with a gun.  A great example is the beheading in Oklahoma.  Or all the homeowners that stop a home invasion/robbery.  See Harvard and CDC gun studies.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Yes, I think it's a strange request. No I wouldn't grant it. I'm sure many gun owners obtain their weapon properly and are stable individuals who handle the weapon appropriately, but all it takes is one whack job

And one whack job can kill a dozen or more--especially if no one can fight back.  

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

@blahblahvampemerblah wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Very strange under the circumstances.  There would be a high risk of him shooting a co-worker if there was a confrontation and the owner would get sued big-time.  I hope tthe boss nixed that idea big-time.  That why we pay for cops, and it's their job.

Response time is usually over five minutes, and that's if they're nearby.  It's too late by the time the crime is starting, but it can be shortened by someone with a gun.  A great example is the beheading in Oklahoma.  Or all the homeowners that stop a home invasion/robbery.  See Harvard and CDC gun studies.

I just remembered something interesting...the police precinct is NEXT DOOR to our building. Literally next door. We can see the patrol cars...the park next to our lot.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cat Lover Dogs too wrote:

Another way to look at this specific situation. He is asking permission, which implies he will not bring his gun into the building if he is not given the okay to do so. If he were intending something nefarious, he would not ask. And as I said, well trained, responsible gun owners do not cause problems. For those that can't tell who those are, they are the people standing near you in the check out line at the grocery store, or any other place you go, and you have no idea they are carrying. We do not advertise or wave our guns around. Stupid irresponsible people are everywhere, and usually you can spot them, because they are calling attention to themselves.

Exactly.  No one can tell that I'm carrying, and that's the way it will stay.  I would prefer open carry though so the criminals would know who to avoid.  On a day-to-day basis, I felt safer when I was living in the Middle East because guns were everywhere.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

And one whack job can kill a dozen or more--especially if no one can fight back.  

Yea, I think we all realize it cuts both ways, so for some of us the answer isn't to promote accessibility. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Cat Lover Dogs too wrote:

I have a conceal carry permit. In my opinion, he should be allowed to carry, concealed. Open carry could cause a problem, as it could spur someone to do something silly. I am very well trained and if there is a violent criminal intent on committing mass murder, properly trained conceal carry permit holders will shut that down quicker than waiting for police. This has been proven over and over again, but the mainstream media never reports those instances. In my city, the sheriff encourcages conceal carry.  Guns do not commit crimes, people do. Cars don't cause accidents, people do. Alcohol doesn't cause fatalities, drunk people do. The instances of mass shootings always occur in "Gun-free zones". Criminals do not obey laws, lawful gun owners do.

Guns don't shoot people, people with guns shoot people. And babies with guns shoot people. And dogs with guns shoot people. But it's cool, we'll just learn how to spot responsible gun owners and tell them apart from the irresponsible ones who let their toddlers and dogs shoot people.

I don't understand your reply to Cat Lover and why you quoted her in blue and underlined it.  It kind of sounded like sarcasm but even then I still don't get it.

Trusted Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I just remembered something interesting...the police precinct is NEXT DOOR to our building. Literally next door. We can see the patrol cars...the park next to our lot.

Nice, but they still have to be alerted.  Forgot that part huh?  Unless someone is able to make that call, or a alarm goes off, they could be on the other side of the wall and still not be close enough.