Respected Contributor

Re: Straight line winds last night - unprepared...

@SilleeMee wrote:

Stay safe @hoosieroriginal

As I'm writing this, I'm looking at about 3 inches of snow on my deck and more snow is falling. Temperature is only 27, windchill at 18. Burrrr.

@SilleeMee - oh my!  snow!  I saw on the regional map there was snow in the plaiins and was really surprised - glad I don't have to deal with that!  Everything here is sooo green it looks like Ireland.

Esteemed Contributor

Fierce winds are frightening. Glad you're okay. Sorry to report central Mid-West has plenty of rain coming your direction. Just a steady, annoying rain that's leaving puddles in our yard. April showers bring May flowers -- thankfully! 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

My first husband was a lineman for Con Edison when I lived in New York.  I know only too well how those men are out in the worst storms possible.  One year he was bussed along with several crews to an adjoining state that needed help due to a bad snowstorm. It was a long, long time ago, don't remember, maybe it was Connecticut.  Anyway, they deserve every penny they earn because they have a dangerous job.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

Puts me in mind of a dreadful storm we had several years ago - a "derecho" is what they called it.  We were several days without power.  Trees down all over the place.  Hope we never have to go through that agaiin.  Good luck to you, OP.   Hope you don't have to go through that again any time soon!

Yep, remember that storm well - I was living very rural and it took 9 days to restore power!  U never realize how much you can't do without electricity!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

tree.jpgThe storms here in NE Ohio were bad too.....Our local Home Depot had all of its trailors of lawn & garden supplies blown over and rolled down the street. Many large trees were also laying on the ground in the surrounding neighborhoods. 

They say it was a "microburst"

homedeot.jpg