Respected Contributor

Re: Story on the news last night about teachers...

I still can't find the story. Since the OP won't reveal it can someone else help out? TIA

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion; however, I have said it before and I will say it again.......anyone who belittles teachers for any reason, and who does not have personal experience in the teaching field, has virtually no understanding of the field and what is involved.  They basically spout off on anything they might read or hear in the news from others who have no experience in the field.  It's a never-ending, uninformed bash.  That's all.

Honored Contributor

@151949What you didn't do when you told us your district was paying $80,000 to starting teachers was tell us exactly what that district was.

I taught in a relatively well-paid Long Island district and I'd like to think starting salaries have gone up to that amount since I retired.  I just don't bother to keep track since what they earn does not change what I earn.  I will find out, but somehow I doubt that starting salary doubled in my first ten years of retirement - that was 6 years ago. 

By the way, the nurses I know who work 60 hours in a week are paid for overtime.  Teachers who use their personal time for correcting and planning do not earn overtime although in my district we were paid extra to conduct various activities or to write curriculum that could be used beyond our own classrooms.

You're comparing apples and oranges, IMO. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@151949What you didn't do when you told us your district was paying $80,000 to starting teachers was tell us exactly what that district was.

I taught in a relatively well-paid Long Island district and I'd like to think starting salaries have gone up to that amount since I retired.  I just don't bother to keep track since what they earn does not change what I earn.  I will find out, but somehow I doubt that starting salary doubled in my first ten years of retirement - that was 6 years ago. 

By the way, the nurses I know who work 60 hours in a week are paid for overtime.  Teachers who use their personal time for correcting and planning do not earn overtime although in my district we were paid extra to conduct various activities or to write curriculum that could be used beyond our own classrooms.

You're comparing apples and oranges, IMO. 

MANY nurses work salary jobs and do not get OT. Almost all unit managers (head nurses) and Coordinators (asst head nurses) work salary.

Are teachers put upon to work a lort of extra hours outside regular school hours - sure they are, what they don't seem to understand is - so is everyone else, in almost every job on earth these days.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I certainly don't hate teachers but come on - they compalin that they have to work some OT or take work home - like almost everyopne else doesn't do that too, they complain that they don't get paid in the summer when the fact is they earn a yearly salary and they are paid that salary. If they don't get paid for the summer the vast majority of the time that is their own choice. They get at least 8 weeks vacation off in the summer , a week in the spring and a week at Christmas - yet will complain on this board every August when they have to go back to work. Meanwhile the rest of the world gets 2 weeks vacation a year. All my working career I was not allowed to take the weekends at each end of my vacation off - one weekend only. 

The rest of the world gets 2 weeks vacation a year? No that is not true. Many after ten years get 5 weeks vacation. And in corporate America add to that.

Teachers are the foundation of our country. What children learn in school will continue to make this a great nation. Teachers are integral to that fact and I support them in any way that I can. If that means an increase in my school taxes, than I understand why that has to happen to insure that we hire qualified educators.

Cutting back on the wages of teachers has discouraged many qualified people from going into teaching. Just look at how many colleges are graduating kids that want to be teachers. Most consider it a wage that is difficult to live on. Nurses around my neck of the woods make sometimes double what teachers make.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

I certainly don't hate teachers but come on - they compalin that they have to work some OT or take work home - like almost everyopne else doesn't do that too, they complain that they don't get paid in the summer when the fact is they earn a yearly salary and they are paid that salary. If they don't get paid for the summer the vast majority of the time that is their own choice. They get at least 8 weeks vacation off in the summer , a week in the spring and a week at Christmas - yet will complain on this board every August when they have to go back to work. Meanwhile the rest of the world gets 2 weeks vacation a year. All my working career I was not allowed to take the weekends at each end of my vacation off - one weekend only. 

Your opening post, it seemed you were on the side of teachers.

Obviously you're not?

You CHOSE to be a NURSE, you've told how you followed in your grandmother's shoes.  How proud you were of being a nurse and saving lives, and giving your all.   So part of your choice would be the pay, the vacation, etc.  Right?

Teachers can be just as passionate about their chosen profession, too.  Remember you were a school student, once.  Before you became a nurse.

The rest of the world DOESN'T get JUST 2 weeks off, that was always a *given* whereever I worked, after 6 months employment, but it increased with years employed.  I was up to 4 weeks off, plus floating holidays and personal days, and that doesn't include sick time (paid days).

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

It seems to me you have an extremely narrow view of  what the working world is outside of nursing.  

I was a salaried employee who got 5 weeks of vacation, paid holidays, and other perks. Unlike teachers, I did continuing education course work primarily on company time--business hour seminars etc.  Yes, I worked outside of business hours a lot, but I also had the freedom of flexible work hours-teachers do not nor do nurses.

You can't compare your life as a nurse to every other occupation. It appears you strongly resent almost everyone who didn't experience exactly what you did.  A choice in career, you made, by the wayand which seems to have soured you on life in general.

I don't recall seeing an avalanche of complaining every August.  No more so than anyone else who posts benign complaints about going back to work after vacation.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

@151949I aid I'd do some checking and I did.  I can't find starting salaries on Long Island for 2010, but I found the AVERAGE salary for 2013 -- that average is $76,425, so there's no way the starting salary was anywhere near 80,000 in 2010.   That average was the the top 12 districts on Long Island, so I just doubt there was a district in PA 3 years prior paying $80,000 to starting teachers.  It's just not believable.

As I said, if you prove me wrong with verifiable information, I will apologize. 

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

so bitter...

Honored Contributor

I all of my 25 years working with teachers as their paraprofessional, I've never heard a single one complain about not getting paid for the summer for not working.  I've heard it said by some that chose not to be on deferred pay that the money got funny in the summer but that was due to their poor budgeting.

In the Chicago area, no starting teacher makes $80,000 even when you add in benefits.  Last I saw a beginning salary amount, it was around $45,000.  Quite a few don't stick around long enough to make much more; that's how difficult/stressful the job is.  

I knew of a couple of teachers with extra degrees that, after 20+ years, made close to that $80,000 figure but well they should by that time.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)