Honored Contributor

Story on the news last night about teachers...

in Manatee County, Fl. The teachers have an option to be paid their yearly salary either the 9 months school is actually in and not get paid during the summer vacation months OR they can divide their yearly salary up into a 12 month pay period. Now the school board is saying that they don't have the money to pay the teachers who opted for the 12 months over the summer.THESE TEACHERS ALREADY EARNED THIS MONEY. I'm sure when the school board turned in a budget it included these teachers yearly salaries no matter how they are paid out. What kind of officials are running that school board?Of course the teachers are protesting and , of course, they have the support of the community. I assume if they aren't paid they will file a lawsuit, but in the meanwhile, what do they live on through the summer? Who works without getting paid?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Story on the news last night about teachers...

"of course, they have the support of the community". Really? Taxpayers tend to despise teachers who receive their wages from taxes collected from hard working people.
Regular Contributor

I am a retired teacher and always opted for the 12 month pay. The fact that the school board doesn't have the promised money is shocking.  I'll bet some heads will roll over this.

Jilly I thought your remark indicated that you thought teachers were not "hard-working". Let me assure you that is not true. They earn every penny. In fact many go over and above, using their own money to supplement their classrooms and students.

i don't understand why so many people "despise" teachers.  Can someone please explain that to me.  Marmot

Respected Contributor

I think that's terrible.

People deserve their pay.  I hope they can resolve this soon.

Honored Contributor

@JillyMarieWhat's your point?   That teachers do not work hard?  That others work harder?  That they don't deserve what they already  earned?   Or just that they have no support?

Your post left me not knowing.

Trusted Contributor

@marmot24.   You misinterpreted my statement.  I too do not understand the bias against teachers making a decent living or even being granted a modicum of respect.

In my school district, this past winter, a teacher took a few personal days to go on a destination wedding cruise.  Tragically she passed away while on this cruise.  You would not believe the letters to the editor in the local paper from hateful people demanding to know what this woman was doing on a cruise on their time and money.  It was disgusting.

Honored Contributor

I never mind paying taxes for schools - after all I was given a free education (such as it was in an inner city school district) and now I am paying it back. 

Honored Contributor

@marmot24 wrote:

I am a retired teacher and always opted for the 12 month pay. The fact that the school board doesn't have the promised money is shocking.  I'll bet some heads will roll over this.

Jilly I thought your remark indicated that you thought teachers were not "hard-working". Let me assure you that is not true. They earn every penny. In fact many go over and above, using their own money to supplement their classrooms and students.

i don't understand why so many people "despise" teachers.  Can someone please explain that to me.  Marmot

It seems to me this would be an issue for their uniion to address for them.Isn't that what you pay union dues for - to be represented?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JillyMarie wrote:
"of course, they have the support of the community". Really? Taxpayers tend to despise teachers who receive their wages from taxes collected from hard working people.

I hope I'm misunderstanding your statement.  Most teachers work as hard or harder than some tax paying people.  And teachers pay taxes as well.  

To have money taken out of your salary for 9 or 10 months (called Deferred Pay) so that you have money for the summer and then not get it??  That's robbery pure and simple.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

I thought I'd heard a quick blurb in passing about this yesterday, but didn't get the whole story.

This is beyond wrong. It is especially disturbing because it is taxpayer money that has somehow been mishandled, because teachers really don't make what they are worth, and because people who chose a responsible option of spreading their pay out to cover the entire year are being penalized, but others who chose the 9 month option, are not. 

I'm sure the money will be found for this, as the results of not doing so would be even more costly. That said, I feel for those teachers wondering if their pay will stop in the next few weeks, and are worrying about how they will pay the bills.