Honored Contributor

Re: Story About my 65" OLED TV Stolen while being Delivered

I'm sorry that happened to you.  I totally understand that you (emotionally) can't 'let' it go.

A year ago this past Christmas, 2 days before Christmas I got a call from my bank telling me my card had been used.  He kept saying, "Don't worry.  We've already put the money back into your account".  

I said, "Well, thank you, but what are you going to do about it?  I said I knew it was used at 2 gas stations, and only those 2.

Here's what happened.  Someone broke into the gas tank and removed the magnetic tape that records your card number and pin number.

These people were pretty smart because they took out $487 from my account.  Why that amount?  Well the bank inspector said the bank only investigates and follows through and it's a felony if it's over......OVER $500!

I spoke to this inspector maybe 3 or 4 times.  Each time he kept saying, "Why are you so upset?  The money has been put into your account".  

I said, "Are you kidding me?  I am lucky because I have more than one card.  There are a lot of people who only have access to one card.  It's 2 days before Christmas and I can't use that card until you send me a new one.  What do people do who must wait until they get paid to buy gifts?  They can't use their card!  Just think of how many people used that gas pump in the time or days when the pump was broken into!  These people probably got thousands of dollars and you are doing nothing!"

Can you believe it?  So here's my lesson.  I won't buy gas from any pump that doesn't have a piece of tape across where there is a lock (you need a key to open it).  The Exxon I go to says on the tape:  "If this tape has been broken or looks like it's been touched.  Do not use it.  Go inside and tell the attendant".

Many gas stations now have that piece of tape on them.  A few months ago I pulled up to a pump and the tape was broken.  I went inside and the attendant came out and put the orange caps over the pumps so they couldn't be used.  He said he would contact the police.

What a world we live in?  You see with that magnetic tape they have your card number AND your pin number.  As frustrating as it is, do not use that pump.  My friend says she goes where the gas is cheaper.  I said "Good for you.  I will never buy gas unless I see that piece of tape."

I know some people only go inside an pay cash.  Often that wouldn't be an option for me.  With my knees being metal, and with the bad weather, I can't be climbing in and out of the car easily.  

Honored Contributor

Well somebody'sWoman Wink got a really nice TV, I would say.

Honored Contributor

We just purchased a 4K 65 inch QLED TV last Friday.  The box was big with lots of packing material and the TV was heavy.  It took both my DH and I to put it in the SUV and to carry it inside.  The weight was 55 lbs.

You would have to know the box was empty right away.

Sounds odd to me.

Respected Contributor

Another new contributor with a strange and convuluted story.  I don't believe a word of it.

Honored Contributor

I have never in my life bought gas with a credit or debit card.  I only pay cash period. 

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

Tape over the card reader at a gas station and a lock?   I've never seen nor heard of that.   Where is this happening?

Honored Contributor

This happens all of the time!  I had a business partner who owns over 200 service stations.  I asked him about this AFTER it happened to me.  He said I should NEVER get gas unless there is that piece of tape over the crease where you open the tank to get the readings from.

People think it's the one where false readers are put in place, but this is easy to the theives to get to the reader, pin, etc.  It's not the same!

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/08/07/thieves-use-bluetooth-technology-to-rip-off-drivers-at-the-p...

This is where they go into the machine.  They don't need to make a new card, they have your card number AND pin number.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/tag/gas-pump-skimmers/

It's easier said than done to just hop out and go inside.  When I get in my car (an out) it isn't as easy as some.  That's why I only get gas one particular station and I never let it get low so I can go there.

One reason I don't let it get low is because maybe 5 or 6 years ago I spent 4 full days living in my car in my driveway because I had no electricity.  SNOW!  I live in a total electric home.  No one could get to me and I couldn't get out of my driveway.  Wires were down across my driveway...live wires.

So, that's another reason I never let my gas tank get low.  Living in that car saved my life!

Honored Contributor

I tried over and over to cy the piece of tape in the picture but it wouldn't copy it.

It's the size of a piece of scotch tape in with and maybe 3 or 4 inches long.

The EXXON I go to has black tape placed over the crease where you open it.  It has the writing on it I mentioned.

I also put my hand over the key pad when I type in my pin number.

I've heard of theives using goggles to see when people us the pumps.  It doesn't take much to do things like this.

Not long after this happened to me my friend and I went by my bank to deposit some money.  It was after the bank had closed and we were using the drive thru to deposit some money.

There was a guy standing nearby with a dog.  No one else was around.  He watched us drive up.  My friend took my card and money and over and over TRIED to deposit the money.  It kept spitting out my money and wouldn't take it!

I thought she was putting in the wrong numbers so we went around to the walk up.  Before we could get there that same guy was standing at the machine!  The dog was tied to the tree.  He'd even put his car in the wrong direction to the drive up we'd just been trying to PUT my money in.

We sat in her car watching this guy stand at the machine, money kept coming out of it!  Over and over.  He tried to block our view but we could see it.

I wanted to call the police but my friend said that by the time they got there, he'd be gone and he had her license number, etc and she was afraid.

I absolutely know this guy had used a skimmer to get people's numbers and was withdrawing funds from their accounts.

I think people who steal from others should ....well I won't say here, but I don't think there is a harsh enough punishment.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't understand the gas pump thing, and i always use my debit card.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I should have started reading from the bottom up...LOL  So, they delivered an empty box but I'm scratching my head over that one because today's modern tv's are so light that my husband had no trouble at all carrying ours all by his self, he just needed my son in law to hold the doors for him and direct him.  They didn't need two to carry the box.  They guy took a risk because if I put myself in your place, there is no way that seeing a damaged box, I would have let him go without opening it and looking at the tv.  Not because I thought the box might be empty but because I would want to see if the screen was damaged.  I'm pretty sure most people would have done that.  But I suppose the guy would have pretended "shock" when there was no tv in the box.  Yes, they do just contract with small freight companies to deliver tv's, mattresses etc.  My mom had that problem years ago when she bought a recliner from HSN or QVC, I forget which one.  They claimed they weren't required to bring it into her house, just to her property and they went above and beyond by putting it on her porch.  My mom was a strong, assertive woman her entire life.  She was arguing with him when  just by luck my brother arrived. He tipped the guy a $20 to bring it in and wait while he opened it and made sure it all ok. In reading the paper work, it was true.  In the tiny print on the delivery sheet, it said "to the property line".  I'm glad QVC made it right for you but I am not surprised.  People steal stuff, that's a fact.  People walk out of big box stores all the time with tv's.  Hubby even saw it happen once at Walmart.  He saw a family put a tv in their cart and then saunter right out...the in door.