Esteemed Contributor

Re: Storm damage repairs with homeowners insurance?

@patbz wrote:

The two things I would consider it SF is dragging their feet: hire a lawyer (contingency) and also contact the media watchdog (one or more of the local stations in your nearest big media market).  Getting a local media watchdog could resolve your problem quickly (these companies hate bad publicity, especially if it's widely distributed).  Btw, I've been with USAA almost 38 years (including 3 big claims,no problems).

Yes, I know you said "big" market, but not every town, community, or hamlet has a tv consumer affairs reporter.

Mine doesn't.

Also, for those big cities that do, I'm sure that they get hundreds of emails a day from people wanting that reporter to do a story on their problem too.

Now, obviously the reporter can't possibly do a story on every complaint that they get.

Point being, while it's worth a shot on contacting a tv consumer affairs reporter, just because one does, is no guarantee that they'll show up with cameras and a microphone.

I wish the o/p nothing but the best of luck in getting her problem solved.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

You could also contact your states attorney general.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Please excuse my ignorance in these matters.  We've only had to file one minor claim twenty years ago.

OP are you saying the insurance company is refusing to act on your claim in a timely manner or is it a difference of opinion as to what the insurance company is willing to pay out for the repairs?

Honored Contributor

All insurance companies are great, until you file a claim with them.  That's when you see what they are really like.

I have State Farm.  Knock on wood we haven't had to make a claim.  For us and what we have, they have the best rates.  I have recently began contacting other agencies for rates and they are all more for the exact same coverage.  I am however ready to change agents.  My agent contacts me constantly trying to sell me add ons.  Drives me nuts.  

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess,  I'm a little confused.  In your OP it sounded like your claim was denied.  In a later post you said  "If you challenge the amount they offer you, you are automatically thrown into the “ appraisal process” which has no time limit."

Did SF deny your claim or did they make an offer which you turned down forcing the appraisal process to begin? 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

You can also write your state representative or senator.

I once got help with a bad work situation by doing this. I picked the senator who claimed to be for the working class.

Honored Contributor

Would the original poster please answer some of the questions?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Wanted to add: When Mom passed awaythere was a small benefit. The ins. company was slow in responding. All it took was one letter from our attorney and all was cleared up.

Mom passed in March and we did not receive our check until the end of June.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Would the original poster please answer some of the questions?

Yes, that would be appreciated.  Appears she hasn't been here yet today.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess      We like you have been with our Insurance Company for well over 40 years.... never used them... just paid them.... cars and home.

A couple of years ago we had a big wind storm here in Seattle. A huge tree fell and went through two yards onto a neighbors home and damaged his home. Because it was an act of  God, HIS INSURANCE covers his home damages.... but our insurance did cover  the fence that was broken by the tree.  It was just a day and we had a check for the repair of the fence.   Now if our home gets damaged.... I will see how that is taken care of, but as far as my insurance being there for us immediently, Farmers Insurance did well.