Valued Contributor

Re: Storm damage repairs with homeowners insurance?

@lovesrecess file a complaint with your state's insurance commissioner.  Here is a link.  Enter your state in the gold box, and then click on the  state website button.  Once on your state's insurance commissioner's website, there should be a section for consumers and filing complaints.  Best of luck.  Property and casualty insurance really is a racket. They have no problem collecting premiums but when you actually need them, they are no help or make things more stressful.

https://www.naic.org/state_web_map.htm

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 :  I said "big market" for a reason: these stations have more eyes and therefore more clout.  Btw, I live in a resort community 3 hrs North of Phoenix (with NO  local stations THAT IS "my station", so I get what you are saying, but you need to get help from a station with"eyes" on it.

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@Anonymous032819 :  I said "big market" for a reason: these stations have more eyes and therefore more clout.  Btw, I live in a resort community 3 hrs North of Phoenix (with NO  local stations THAT IS "my station", so I get what you are saying, but you need to get help from a station with"eyes" on it.

In my opening sentence I acknowledged that you said "big" market.

My point was that even in "big" markets that does have a tv news station that has a consumer advocate, they get so many requests from so many people every single day, that they can't possibly cover them all to do a story on.

Everyone who contacts them with a problem wants that station to do a story on their problem.

It would be impossible to do a story on every problem, when you have hundreds of people (if not over a thousand every week) all wanting coverage.

It's just not possible.

So, while it's worth a try to contact a consumer affairs reporter, just don't think that just because you did, that a reporter will show up with a camera and microphone to cover your story.

They have to filter through all of the requests, and pick and choose which ones to do a story on.

They might choose to do a story on your problem, but then again, they might decide not to do a story on your problem.

But it's worth a shot.

And the "you/your" is the general meaning of the words, not the specific.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

They make sure you pay your premiums  but when it comes time to file a claim..... I had trouble with Farmer's Ins. I think the old phrase  "Insurance is a good as the agent applies."Mr neighbor had similar damage  from a mini tornado, $14 000.  He had his check two weeks from Am. Family . I had a hassle begining with the office secretary who gave me a difficult time. I ended up calling the company`s 800 number to get an adjuster.  I had a middle man to help me who was a roofer as  needed a new roof as well.  As soon as the repairs were done in several months time I switched companies. It is exhausting. Bad enough to have to go through one storm but then fight with insurance people. Our storm was the worst in 60 years so not exactly a usual occurance.

The trees had to  deemed as home damage.  The ones in the wooded area are still dead and down and a continuous process removing them. I had several on my home power pole and garage. 13 down in the yard alone.

Trusted Contributor

I have a friend who ever so often tells about her brother who lived in Joplin, Missouri when that city suffered devasatation from a huge tornado a few years ago.

The damage was so wide-spread that the insurance company went bankrupt, and he had to sue to recover any money from them.  Getting paid took months and months and months to years.  

I have often heard that the same thing would be bound to happen with an earthquake - the insurance companies would not be able to pay all the claims.

Hate to say it, but that is the way it works. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:
I have three attorneys in my own family...they said they can get involved, but it will take longer....a lot longer. And bad faith is exactly what it is, legally. They all said this company will just punish you for going the legal route...by offering even less as retaliation, and cancelling your policy afterwards.....that would be a whole other legal battle.,,,except I want to get away from them.,,cancel away!

@lovesrecess 

You don't want State Farm to cancel the policy. That puts you in the risk category when applying for insurance in the future.

YOU want to be the side doing the canceling of the policy AFTER finding another company! Be very careful while still with State Farm and don't cause waves. It could damage you in the long run.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Still waiting for a reply from the OP. Makes me think this might be a scam!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It sounds like State Farm won't pay the claim for $50,000 worth of work and they offered less which the OP thinks is unfair.  The OP needs the repairs to be done so the house can be placed on the market to be sold.

Honored Contributor

Thanks qb!

Contributor

I have also had problems from the last 3 bad storms we had and some of the shingles on the roof blew off, the fascia and gutter fell down part of it is still hanging and I contact my Home Owners Insurance Travelers and they said since my deductable is $500 it would cost less to just go ahead and pay for the repairs that they wouldn't cover it.  I'm a widow 70 years old and on a fixed income and I do not have the money for repairs. I know to call someone to come out and fix this it would be over $500 not less like the Insurance Agent said.. Insurance Companies are scammers as far as I'm concerned