Honored Contributor

Re: Storm News Coverage

[ Edited ]

@chessylady wrote:

While I sympathize with people experiencing a hurricane, I used to live where hurricanes happened, I am not interested in continuous hurricane coverage. Perhaps if I knew someone who might be in danger, I would be more interested. If I want hurricane status, I can watch the weather channel. I am glad that so far there has been no loss of life.

There is one confirmed fatality. Man was trapped in burning home in Rockport.

Esteemed Contributor

We lived through Hurricane Andrew (Cat 5) and the only damage was the loss of my beautiful Shady Lady Black Olive tree.  It went over like a a twig and was easily 15 ft. high and almost as wide.  It cost a couple hundred just to cut the stump off and remove it from the property.

We were w/o power for 21 days but one of our sons (on his way out to get ice) found a truck on the side of the road, selling Honda generators.  The guy said he was delivering them to Home Depot but decided to give the people a break and sell it to them.  (sure lol)  It helped so much.  It was so hot that week, we would have paid any price for it and I think we did.  The first chance he got, my husband went online and bought a whole house Generac generator and since then, the longest power failure was 3 hours (between noon and 3 pm)....

What do they say???  Better to have it and not use it than not have it and not use it.  (or something like that)  We were lucky in that Andrew was a very dry storm.   I don't even remember any rain but I'm sure we had some.  I remember shutting all the doors in the house and we all bedded down in the hallway.  It was a very noisy/scary night, even with plywood "shutters"....

Now that we have hurricane windows and that generator, we are fully prepared.

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom  It's the Delkus effect!   LOL

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

@sidsmom  It's the Delkus effect!   LOL

Truth be told, blowin' on him is all the hot air

Dale Hansen is throwin' his way...

🤣🌬💨

Honored Contributor

Saw this & chuckled...so weird both were in the same week.

IMG_2722.jpg

Honored Contributor

Have wondered why some of these weather channel reporters don't wear bike helmets or something similar to protect themselves from flying debris. One of them did get people's attention though by reminding those choosing to stay rather than evacuate to use a sharpie and write their name and ss# on their forearm so recovery workers can identify their bodies......a sobering thought!

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I find it amusing when the guy is standing out in the wind  and rain reporting live.....like go inside ....DUH!

My radio guys always laugh about that.

It's such a weather 'bit'.  So predictable.

- Rain/hurricane - a reporter outside standing at an angle, just getting

pounded with the rain/wind.

- Snow - a reporter outside with a ruler in the snow

- Inside studio during severe weather - the meteorologist w/ his

jacket removed, sleeves rolled up, holding a fistful of papers. 

Every.

Single.

Time.

In Oklahoma, weather reporting is a matter of life and death.  Lot of times I've seen weathermen with their jacket off on air, sleeves rolled up, losing their voices and looking awfully ragged.  

We'll have tornadoes forming out west at 3:30, rolling into the city at 8 at night, and then being covered until nearly midnight.  Those poor people are on point the whole time, teams of trackers following the storms and reporting back, warnings and watches being issues, maybe monitoring storms with circulations from far north to south across the state.

Weather may be will it rain for a lot of people, but where I live it is can we survive, will we have a house, will the grapefruit or baseball sized hair destroy the roof and windows. . . 

I give these men and women a lot of respect for what they do.  Sometimes especially national news overplays these things, many times they save lives.

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Have wondered why some of these weather channel reporters don't wear bike helmets or something similar to protect themselves from flying debris. One of them did get people's attention though by reminding those choosing to stay rather than evacuate to use a sharpie and write their name and ss# on their forearm so recovery workers can identify their bodies......a sobering thought!

@lovesrecess, Both Jim Cantore and Mide Seidel of the weather channel did have on helmets last night.  Can't speak of any other coverage because I only watched the weather channel for the coverage.  Mike Seidel would take the helmet off when he was outside but sheltered by the hotel, but when he went out where he was exposed he had the helmet on.  It was pouring down rain so they obviously had the hood of their jacket up over the helmet, but they had it on.

It was the mayor of Rockport that made the statement to his residents that if they elected to stay to write their name and SSN on their arm, not a reporter.  As mayor, he was urging his citizens to get out of dodge before the storm hit.

I give these individuals credit for what they do and most of them are very knowledgeable (can't speak for Geraldo Rivera there though lol) and have an advance team that stakes out what might be the safest place, etc.   Doesn't mean it always works out, but they do have teams that try and make safe decisions of where to stay and yet get information out to people.

I know someone that volunteers for shelters in certain areas of Florida during hurricane evacutations.  She has talked about when the shelter is in another county and they still have power, the people in the shelter are glued to TV or electronic devices to watch the coverage.  That is the only way they know what is happening in the area they live.  And in some cases (Hurricane Charley) it helped people prepare that most likely their home was not going to be intact when they were finally allowed to go back in.  And for others that were reasonably sure their home was going to be okay due to the live reports during the hurricane. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

Re: Storm News Coverage

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

But seriously, duh?  That's their job, to be out in it.  If all they wanted to do was tell you about the weather they'd just tell you from their studio and not send someone out on the scene.

Actually I dont think it should be their job to risk their lives and encourage other thrill seekers to stay during a storm because "hey if the weather guy can do it I can".  It is as much about ratings as it is about informing the public.  I am not sure just when this kind of coverage started maybe in the late 70s whenever the Weather Channel took off?   All of these places hit by stormshave local weather personalities to inform them of the storms. It is reality tv.  

Regular Contributor

This is in reply to some of you who think the reporters standing in the middle of water and wind is funny!1!

First of all the meteorologists(like the WC) are qualified and move if they or their crew could be in danger.  They are doing their jobs for our benefit and that of the local people in Houston or wherever so they know what to do, where there are shelters etc.

I cannot believe you would find someone in a profession that serves the people  funny!

I better end here before I really get angry.