Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I always thought that it was to help viewer better understand the actual conditions.  I find it informative, rather than amusing...JMHO.

That is the other way of looking at it..... until the poor fellow is hit in the head with a flying stop sign.....

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I'm always worried that the news guy is going to go flying away in the middle of his report. 

And footage of that would play over and over again, viewers rolling on the floor laughing.

Sadly for the poor on-the-scene reporter!

Honored Contributor

But seriously, duh?  That's their job, to be out in it.  If all they wanted to do was tell you about the weather they'd just tell you from their studio and not send someone out on the scene.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@itsmagic wrote:

I'm always worried that the news guy is going to go flying away in the middle of his report. 

I have actually seen reporters tethered with a rope tied around their waist.

Yesterday my husband was watching the storm coverage and they were showing old clips from other storms.  Geraldo Rivera was out in it reporting and got hit in the head with something the wind had picked up.  It knocked him down.

At his age, he should leave it to someone else. I mean he's older than my mother, and I sure wouldn't want her out in that, regardless of the profession they chose. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

Jim Cantore + thunder snow was the best.  Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I can understand the point of having the reporters outside in the elements to give first hand accounts of the conditions. While it is informative, the sight of seeing a person standing in hurricane force 100+mph winds with pelting rain (or blizzard) can sometimes look amusing.  One of my exes used to love seeing Stefanie Abrams of The Weather Channel out in the heavy rain.  Ms. Abrams is quite shapely and the rain enhanced her lovely figure.  

All joking aside, I do hope the people in the areas affected by Hurricane Harvey are safe and get all the help they will need for recovery from their insurance companies, the State of Texas, and the federal government. 

Honored Contributor

I've always wondered if being out in the storms is part of their job description. They couldn't  pay me enough to do it.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've always wondered if being out in the storms is part of their job description. They couldn't  pay me enough to do it.Woman LOL

I would doubt that they get to decide to only be out on the warm, sunny days.

Honored Contributor

I think it is part of their job,to show what is happening .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

While I sympathize with people experiencing a hurricane, I used to live where hurricanes happened, I am not interested in continuous hurricane coverage. Perhaps if I knew someone who might be in danger, I would be more interested. If I want hurricane status, I can watch the weather channel. I am glad that so far there has been no loss of life.