Respected Contributor

Re: Storing clothes for the season

@bargainsgirl I used to have to pack way all out of season clothes in large plastic bins, which fit on shelves in my closet. Now I'm retired, and I've reduced my wardrobe a good bit, with plans to reduce even more (as in not replacing some items as they wear out).

Last winter, I only put my heaviest sweaters and knit jeans in the bins. I'm fortunate to have a fairly large closet, that DH customized for me a few years ago. One long wall has 2 rows of "short" hanging space--one row is now spring/summer tops, the other row is fall/winter tops. There is some crossover, like tank tops and lightweight cardigans that can be worn anytime, I just divided it as to when I'm most likely to wear it.

Pants go in the "long" hanging space on the other side...currently, I till have to put away things like beach pants and gauze pants in the summer, knit jeans in the winter. Regular jeans and dress pants (of which I only have 4 pair) stay out all year.

I'm really hoping to be able at some point to not have to put anything away but out of season footwear!

Honored Contributor

I wear short sleeves all year long, so tee shirts never get stored away. 

Shorts get swapped to a different spot on the closet shelf and long pants get put in their place.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't store any of my clothing seasonally.  I am spoiled with a good size bedroom closet and a huge walk in closet in my basement.  I do share it with extra comforters and pillows........just sayin.    DH has a smaller closet in the spare bedroom and it's all he needs, LOL!   I am pretty pathetic actually.

Honored Contributor

Most of my clothes are 3 season clothes that I don't pack away.   I put the things that are truly summer clothes in storage cubes and in big storage bags that have clear tops and handles.  They hold a lot!  

Valued Contributor

I just purchased some from A, they were Gorilla Grip bags, under $20 for a pack of 6.  They came in and I couldn't believe the quality, I immediately ordered six more.  I have several larage blankets and many pillows that I used for four of them and am considering using them for my off season clothes rather than the tubs.  These have two handles and are much lighter than tubs. I am sure I can find many more uses.

Trusted Contributor

We have 4 distinct seasons where I live and I know I have too many clothes.  I do a lot of switching.  The best part about doing all the switching is that I do a lot of sorting during the switches.  I just went through trying on all of my jeans and slacks and now I have a large pile to either consign or donate.  But I still have too many... 

Summer clothes are easiest to store because they are not bulky.  My t-shirts, sandals, capris and shorts go into boxes in a guest room closet that has a lot of shelving.  I do have one box labeled "vacation" for warm weather items I might use on a cruise this winter. 

Honored Contributor

I have 4 storage bags that fit under the bed. They are space bags on the inside but the outside is a zippered canvas fabric.

Everything is put away clean, then when I need to switch out, I run everything thru a rinse cycle in the wash, then dry or hang out side.

DH and I each have a double closet but not big enough to hold all my clothes.

Trusted Contributor

I live in rent with no attic, basement, garage, or extra closets. My tops for all seasons are on a hanging rack in my bedroom, hung according to colors and sleeve lengths. My slacks, jeans, and other bottoms are hung in a closet according to color, fabric, and type of bottom. So, nothing gets moved for various seasons. I can see everything I have. 

Honored Contributor

It is all in one eight foot closet. Winter on one side, Summer on the other. Believe me, I have plenty of clothes for my retired lifestyle. My last purchase was from Quacker Factory, but the majority of my purchases are loungewear. Coats and other outerwear go in our hall closet.

Esteemed Contributor

I use collapsible storage bins that are stackable with see through windows and side handles; purchased here and HSN. They are easy to transport to and from the basement, and attractive.💖

~~~All we need is LOVE💖