Honored Contributor

Re: Storing clothes for the season

We relocated into a much smaller home (happily!), so I had to pare down a lot of my clothes.  Not too many fancy things any more.  I can still put together a few formal outfits, but just a few.

Problem is, I've never really needed winter clothes before, only when visiting up north.

Now I think I may need more winter clothes, don't know if I have enough.

Everything stays put though, no packing or unpacking boxes or bins.  I'll make do with the closet space I have.  (My upstairs closet is probably bigger than my kitchen.)

But all summer long, clothes that I would wear in cold weather are at the ready.  Not in our bedroom, but the room I usually dress in anyways.

The only things I really have to unpack and/or store are seasonal decorations.  That's enough of a pain, I would hate to have to do that with clothes, too!  

Esteemed Contributor

I only store away my linen items in drawers, everything else is left hanging in my closet. My closet is sorted by type of clothing (pants, jackets, blouse, etc) and by color.

I do clothes purges a couple of times a year and don't tend to keep clothes I don't wear or don't fit. Lost two sizes this past year and don't really have very many clothes left to sort. Smiley Sad

I retired last year and the hard thing for me is to only buy clothes based on my current needs/lifestyle. I love clothes, but I don't need power suits anymore, as I'm no longer giving presentations in front of hundreds of people. But it does make for simplified organization.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

No packing or unpacking of seasonal clothes.  Just hanging in different parts of a very, very big closet.  Gotta say, most of my clothing is warm weather oriented anyway.  Coats & jackets, for which I have a weakness even though I have not so many occasions to wear, are in a hall closet.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@Kachina624 

Thanks, just bought them and will be here tomorrow.  Will fit my needs for more than summer clothes.  

@mspatmac    They'd be great for storing linens, blankets and comforters, Christmas and other seasonal decor, even excess kitchenware.  I can think of many uses.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I recently made a new discovery which I intend to use.

Amazon has some very big bags with zippers made by Ikea of their blue fiberglass-like plasticy material which is pretty much indestructible.  You could probably get most of a summer wardrobe in two of these bags.  They're inexpensive, have web handles and can be pressed into different odd spaces.  They'd be water, dust and insect proof.  They could just be thrown in the bottom of a closet.

These would also be great for moving.

Screenshot_20220922-194243_kindlephoto-1676093183.png

MANY MANY years ago my husband bought bags that looked exactly like the ones you showed from Fuller Brush Co. The ONLY difference was they were white. But zippers, handles and shape is the same. 

The ones he bought from Fuller Brush have to be over 25 years old. And they look the same as when we first got them. They are such a nice shape and as you said indestructible. The one bad thing, was he tried to buy more and they did not have them available.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@mspatmac wrote:

@Kachina624 

Thanks, just bought them and will be here tomorrow.  Will fit my needs for more than summer clothes.  

@mspatmac    They'd be great for storing linens, blankets and comforters, Christmas and other seasonal decor, even excess kitchenware.  I can think of many uses.

Thank you, @Kachina624  - that's what I was looking for!  As @mspatmc did, I ordered them & they arrive tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

I don't pack away clothes.  Most of my things fit into my walk in closet.  The few things that don't I will store in my Dd's old room's closet.  I just switch out for the season.

Honored Contributor

I have a running closet.  The only variants are weight of material and sleeve length.  It really works just fine for me. Retirement helps a lot.

Esteemed Contributor

No switching out clothes. I too live in Arizona. Winter is all to short. My long sleeved stuff is hanging one rod and short sleeved is on another. Pants hang all year and shorts are in a drawer.

Honored Contributor

No switching out clothes or storing them in bins.  We have a large walk in closet so everything is accessible all year long.