Trusted Contributor

Re: Storing Summer Clothes--How Do You Do It?

I live in NJ, so we are just beginning fall time. I don’t change out any clothing until I know for sure what the weather will be over the course of the next few weeks. Since it’s still warm here, I have out my summer clothes.

I live in an old Colonial house with a full walk up attic. All my winter clothes are there now. As it gets cooler, I’ll put my transparent plastic bin of shorts in the attic and bring down the bin of long sleeve, but light weight tops. Once it gets cold, all summer clothes go up and winter ones come down. It’s a process that I actually enjoy. It also makes me look at items I haven’t worn since last year  and I have to decide to donate or keep.

i think I’ll go up to the attic now and look at my stuff. 👢👡👚👠🧦👖

Trusted Contributor

I transfer my clothes a couple times a year.  I just finished putting the summer clothes away along with my sandals and summer shoes.  While I do the changeover, I keep a bag for donation handy so i can sort as I go along,  I store those clothes in two plastic bins and I took out the winter tops and sweaters from those bins and washed them so they can go into my closet and my dresser.  Now the hard part, bringing up the many blazers, boots, etc. up from the basement closet.  I am going to continue sorting and donating as I go along so I am still not yet done.  I just have too many winter clothes and I keep on buying so I have to make more room.  So it turns out to be a job that I dread but am so glad when it is done and my closet looks all nice, neat and refreshed.  However, that does not last very long.

Honored Contributor

Most of my wardrobe is year-round, so I don't have much to swap out other than a few things. 

Respected Contributor

In PA we had a basement and I was working part time so I'd put my winter things in suitcases and put them in the basement and visa versa.

Then we planned our move and got rid of about 40% or more of everything we owned.   I gave away and trashed tons of clothes.

Now I'm not working (ever again!!)  and we're in a milder climate and have fewer clothes and shoes.   I think I'll be able to put everything in our master bedroom closet and just do as some of you have said, move up and back as seasons change.   If not, the overflow will go in the second bedroom closet which is fairly large.   We no longer have nor need a ton of clothes.

Respected Contributor

We had attic space made into a "whatever" room plus a bathroom.  The whatever room is being used as an exercise room.  LOL, the only exercise done there is when my husband vacuums.  However, it would make a nice bedroom.  We just don't need another bedroom.  The closet in that room is cedar lined, so out of season clothes get stored there.  

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I don't store anything, all my clothes-shoes-boots-accesories stay in the same spot year round. I don't have a custom closet, simply use a normal size bedroom closet, a dresser & hall closet for coats.

Me too.

Honored Contributor

I have a storage bin in my garage, I use zip lock storage box bags and label each one

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Fortunately, no switching necessary here.  It is a four-season climate, but I find many things bridge the seasons, and I guess my closet is big enough for my clothes.

If I needed the space, there is an attic over the garage with a hanging rack (and pull down stairs).

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Fortunately my closet has enough room to accomodate the warm weather clothes and cold weather clothes.  All our coats are stored in the coat closet in the foyer.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I’m very fortunate. We have a huge master closet. It’s the size of a room. A big feature for us when we bought our house. 

I keep all my clothes in there year round. I will move the winter clothes to the front in a few weeks. That takes me literally about two minutes. 

@gidgetgh- When I lived i another city and had our home custom built, I also had a master closet the size of a room.  I had my dresser in there and got dressed there.  It was a nice selling feature when we sold the home!