Honored Contributor

Re: Storing Food in Plastic Containers a No no according to Pediatricians

@BirkiLady.  Keep in mind that glass also does not decompose in landfills.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it....glass can be dangerous also.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  Glass is recycled by big business. It doesn't go into the landfill in our city.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I thought they were now making BPA free plastic so this wasn't an issue?

Glass is recycled in my city.

Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Kachina624  Glass is recycled by big business. It doesn't go into the landfill in our city.

That's what everyone in my area thought was happening to glass that was being put in recycling bins. Turns out it was all going to the landfall because it was too expensive to recycle. 

Honored Contributor

Nothing new there, we've hearing that for years.  I believe it's not the storing, it's heating food in plastic containers.  

Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

So I am thinking of my Lock and Lock.  I never reheat food in them, but I do keep leftovers, dry pasta, cereal etc in them.  Are all the claims that Chris makes - no BPA etc - not true????

Yes, it IS true.   You can't believe everything you read.

You do right by not using them to reheat food, and only for storage.  They are BPA, etc, free and perfectly safe.  Nothing is gassing off unless you are heating them up.

There is some crazy stuff online, so it always pays to make yourself knowledgeable of actual facts.   I think most of us know that, but there are always those who believe stuff that's just not based in fact.

Honored Contributor

I refuse to get all hot and bothered -  but I literally never have children in my home.  I did have 2 pre-teens for a couple of days maybe 10 years ago!

Further, there's no one in the house with a compromised immune system -  I assume they might want to be quite careful.

Finally, I guess I'm a fatalist in a way because I think if all these warnings meant danger for all of us, the human race would be dying off way faster than it is.  I try to be selective in what I choose to eat and how I contribute to pollution, but that's it -  selective.

Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

So I am thinking of my Lock and Lock.  I never reheat food in them, but I do keep leftovers, dry pasta, cereal etc in them.  Are all the claims that Chris makes - no BPA etc - not true????

@corita, L&L is BPA-free. It is absolutely safe to store foods. I don't use mine in the microwave, mainly because I had two warp and also don't want to encourage staining.

Please don't worry.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

BPA-free isn't enough.  It's a feel-good phrase that stands alone and should not be doing so. 

While BPA-free is a start, it isn't always the new safe alternative.

People need to do their homeowork and understand the whole picture.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh