Honored Contributor

Re: Storing Food in Plastic Containers a No no according to Pediatricians

I've decided that I'm going to replace all my plastic storage bowls with lidded, clear glass.

I could transfer the stuff from the plastic to glass but then it's just one more thing to have to wash.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I've decided that I'm going to replace all my plastic storage bowls with lidded, clear glass.

I could transfer the stuff from the plastic to glass but then it's just one more thing to have to wash.

Yeah, but aren't the lids (seals) usually plastic?

Honored Contributor

I use plastic almost exclusively for food storage, and reheating in microwave.

So far, so good.  No kids around here to worry about.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt - they are but I never leave the lid on anything when I microwave it.  If I use saran wrap I make sure it's not touching the food because I have had it melt or I will use a piece of paper towel.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@chickenbutt - they are but I never leave the lid on anything when I microwave it.  If I use saran wrap I make sure it's not touching the food because I have had it melt or I will use a piece of paper towel.

That's good!  Smiley Happy  I was just thinking of it from the POV of some folks that plastic is just bad for any storage.  I've wrapped a paper towel around something in the microwave and that works nicely.

The only plastic I will microwave is the 'Rock n Serve' Tupperware that was made for mc use.  It's that harder plastic that won't peel, pit, or crack.  But the vented seals are the other type of plastic so, after a while, they get a little peely.

Trusted Contributor

I got rid of my microwave a long time ago.  That's because microwaving food ruins the integrity of the food.  They discovered that years ago.

I re-heat my food in oven proof glass containers such as Pyrex in my toaster oven, or I just use a cast iron skillet to reheat leftovers.  In work, I have a small crock pot that has no coating on it, so I heat up my food in that.  Takes about 10 minutes or so.

As for plastic, I do have Lock N Lock.  Mainly because I use it for storing fresh fruit like melon, strawberries, blueberries - any fruit that can rapidly go bad.  I've tried glass, but I don't get the same longevity.  I use the smaller containers to carry salad dressing, nuts, seeds, etc.  As long as they are not heated there isn't a problem.

Trusted Contributor

Containers marked microwave safe are NOT supposed to contain phthalates. 

Trusted Contributor