Respected Contributor

Storing Food in Plastic Containers a No no according to Pediatricians

This was on my newsfeed this morning:

"The American Academy of Pediatrics says heating and storing food in plastic is increasing the number of chemicals being released into the food that's inside.

It is pushing the federal government to look at the impact of plastic containers on the growth and mental development of children."

You can google for the link.  Wow.

Respected Contributor

Re: Storing Food in Plastic Containers a No no according to Pediatricians

I've heard this before.  I think the heating is especially harmful because the plastic absorbs the heat and releases small amount of toxins.  Over time this can be dangerous to some people. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer: I think your title is misleading.

Storing food in plastic containers is not the problem. Heating/ reheating the food in them is.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Think about the plastics in a vehicle and how the sun/warm weather affects the interior of the windshield, it only makes sense a microwave isn't the best place to put plastic containers with foods.

For years, I've continued to use glass containers. Plastics have polluted our lakes, rivers, oceans and drinking waters. Plastics do not decompose in landfills. They have not been welcome in my family's lives or home for a very long time. The packaging that does come home, goes to the Recycling Center. 

Please think about your purchases (including clothing, furniture, home interior decor and so much more). We're also breathing those plastics in carpeting, flooring,  etc. There are usually natural fibers available which are not harmful to you, pets or the environment. Shop safely. Thanks for a great post!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The articles say both heating and storing are bad.  I've heard about the problems with heating before.  I had not heard that storing was also a problem.

The Academy of Pediatricians recommends using glass for BOTH heating and storing.

Honored Contributor

I don't think the article says that much at all -  two reasons.  First, it's the heating in plastic scientists have felt for years may be detrimental and second, the damage is far greater for little ones than for adults, and that's true for many, many things we do. Children are a special responsibility, though so I'd be in favor of government regulation for their health.

I rarely heat in my plastics just because I think the containers last longer if I keep them out of the microwave.  The cheap containers that come from delis, Chinese take-out, etc. I stopped putting in the microwave at least 20 years ago when the first alarms were raised.

Respected Contributor

This should make baby food manufacturers remove the premade food they currently sell in plastic and return to glass jars.  I wondered about this myself after they switched.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Think about the plastics in a vehicle and how the sun/warm weather affects the interior of the windshield, it only makes sense a microwave isn't the best place to put plastic containers with foods.

For years, I've continued to use glass containers. Plastics have polluted our lakes, rivers, oceans and drinking waters. Plastics do not decompose in landfills. They have not been welcome in my family's lives or home for a very long time. The packaging that does come home, goes to the Recycling Center. 

Please think about your purchases (including clothing, furniture, home interior decor and so much more). We're also breathing those plastics in carpeting, flooring,  etc. There are usually natural fibers available which are not harmful to you, pets or the environment. Shop safely. Thanks for a great post!

@BirkiLady  Excellent points.  We also use glass. 

People don't realize that the odors they pick up in stores are the off-gasses from chemically made items-including clothing.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

So I am now supposed to get rid of all my Tupperware that I store the bulk of items in so they stay fresh and keep critters out. I'm supposed to use glass containers for packed lunches that go to school with my kids; oh, that's not dangerous at all. Let's not mention the sheer weight of all that glass on the cabinets in the kitchen when full as well as all the food that is served in plastic (deli/take out food) plus those sold in stores- is all that stuff going to served in/on glass/crockery?

We're all gonna die at some point. Just one more thing to add to "cause of death".

Wanted to add that when I've purchased baby food, it was in glass jars. Loved those little jars as they were easy to open. Fast forward to 2-3 years ago and I purchased some to use in a recipe and instead of being in glass, they were in plastic tubs. What a PITA to open!!!! I mean, I had to take scissors and cut a hole out of the top because NONE of us could open it via the tab you're supposed to use. JUST for that reason alone I'd want the glass jars back.

Esteemed Contributor

So I am thinking of my Lock and Lock.  I never reheat food in them, but I do keep leftovers, dry pasta, cereal etc in them.  Are all the claims that Chris makes - no BPA etc - not true????