Respected Contributor

Re: Storing Food in Plastic Containers a No no according to Pediatricians

About 20-25 years ago it was found that putting hot food/liquid into plastic or heating/reheating in plastic was dangerous.  

Back then the rest of the world took this very seriously and made changes........decades later here in the US, here we are talking about it.

Honored Contributor

My personal opinion from what I've read is storing in newer plastics that are BPA free, is fine. Heating is supposed to be, but not for me.

I try to only reheat in ceramic or glass. The ceramic from China probably isn't really all that safe for heating either, if we really knew the truth.

Honored Contributor

You don't necessarily have to heat plastic food containers to get a dose of chemicals. A chemical called phthalate is added to many plastics, including food wrappers, to keep the plastic flexible and give it longevity. There are potential health risks from phthalate exposure and it is particularly increased in children.

Super Contributor

I"m trying to be better about this, but I'm having a hard time letting go of my Fasta Pasta and Microwave rice cooker - both plastic.  The rice will probably be easier since I've discovered my new love - the Instant pot. But the fasta pasta sure makes cooking pasta for one or two sooo easy...

Honored Contributor

Generally speaking, I've always preferred glass.

But sometimes plastic is easier.  Zip-L*ck type of storage in freezer, etc.  So far, I haven't detected any type of plastic odor in popular brands.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

I don't even put the plastic bowls in the dishwasher. I also heard that what they've replaced BPA with might be just as bad and maybe worse than the BPA.

The regular line of Lock & Lock has always been made from polypropylene, a type of plastic that has never contained BPA.

It's polycarbonate plastic that used to contain BPA; it's been replaced with a type of hard and durable plastic trademarked as Tritan, which is BPA-free.

I know of no credible information that would lead me to worry about either type of plastic.

As an aside, the whole thing about Alzheimer's and aluminum is pure bunk.

If I'm going to fret, it's going to about real and present dangers -- not misinformation and Internet rumors.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@Isobel Archer: I think your title is misleading.

Storing food in plastic containers is not the problem. Heating/ reheating the food in them is.

Yes I've heard of this for some time.  I never heat up food items in plastic containers and haven't done for many years.

Valued Contributor

Plastic will degrade, but it will never decompose. I've said that for years. 3rd world countries are dumping plastic junk into rivers and the oceans and the animal, some of the ones we eat, are eating that junk. They give the amount of mercury in tuna, sometime they will have to give the per centage of plastic in fish. The microbeads that was in cosmetics are now in the water system. Fish are swallowing them. We eat the fish and we get them. everything now is made out of plastic. Some cities are banning straws, but that is just a small token. Keep a plastic water bottle in your frige for a year, then open it and see what it has done inside. It falls apart, but it will never become soil. It's plastic not CO2 that will destroy the earth.

Honored Contributor

When I do use micowave to heat amys meals, it is in paper containers.  Amy's meals have these thick paper plates I think they are safe, but ya never know!!!

Honored Contributor

I just (right this minute) thought about something.........Maybe we shoudn't store acidic foods (tomato sauces, etc.) in plastic containers?  

Maybe the acids could penetrate and/or break down the plastic? 

Just a thought, of course.  'What do I know?'

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).