Honored Contributor

Re: Stories You Read As A Child And The Impact They Had

@Miranda1550

That book sounded so interesting. I looked it up on Amazon.  It had a lot of hits...close to 300.  One of the comments said "for all ages" and there are sequels to it, too.   

Honored Contributor

When I could read by myself, I ended up checking all of a biography set out at the school's library.  There was a lot of detail about life in the 1800's and I have always been interested in different centuries because of that exposure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recall in junior high we had to read Of Human Bondage - it really impacted me to realize , even in the 50's how much better our lives are here in the USA and how important freedon is. My first husband and our family travelled all over the world for his job and I was always observing the cultures of the country we were in, and how it differed from theUSA.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@jubilant, everybody is naming all of these intelligent, wholesome books and I'm getting ready to follow a different path.  You asked what was the first book that we remember that changed you somehow so I'm going to tell you the book that popped in my mind.  Lady Chatterly's Lover!  Lol...naughty, naughty me.  

I was a teenager and one of my few friends gave it to me to read or I got it from the library where I went a lot.  I don't quite remember how I got it.   I was in shock during the whole book and it definitely held my interest.  How I read it without being caught, I don't know.  

@Mmsfoxxie

My mother kept this D.H. Lawrence paperback stashed in her beach bag.  We found it.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Miranda1550 wrote:

@jubilant

All of a Kind Family, by Sydney Taylor........

books about a Jewish Family .  Only books I could 

find that were about children who were Jewish.

I loved those books. They were about a family who

stayed together.

@Miranda1550

Oh, I haven't thought about the All-of-a-Kind Family books in ages!  Thanks for brushing away the cobwebs!  Another series on my sister's required reading list for me.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee, lol...I guess mama was a little naughty, too.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@just bee, lol...I guess mama was a little naughty, too.

@Mmsfoxxie

We found her copy of Peyton Place and breezed through all her Harold Robbins and Jacqueline Susann novels.  She was a voracious reader and consumed whatever she could get her hands on.  She was really into Taylor Caldwell.  I still have her copy of The Godfather.  My first official date was with a boy named Richard and we got into the theater because my parents were with us (they didn't sit with us).

She liked horror (The Exorcist and then her Stephen King phase), but then she really got into true crime.  Now those books were hair-raisers!

But she read a lot of great novels/authors, too, and it's killing me that I can't remember the name of a particular author she liked.  Read all his books... Greek name... oh, it'll come to me eventually.

Respected Contributor

Stories that have made an impact on my life and never leave is The Holy Bible Heart 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MaRina wrote:

Stories that have made an impact on my life and never leave is The Holy Bible Heart 

******** I am glad you mentioned the Bible, MaRina.  I love the Bible stories.  The Bible has impacted my life more than any book I have ever read.  I would love to say in what way that it has impacted my life, but I know from experience it would go poof!  To some here I would be preaching and while I don't think I do that, some people have obviously thought I went too far. Anymore, I just don't know what's too far and what's not.  To stay here, you have to follow the rules whether you like them or not. 

Respected Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@MaRina wrote:

******** I am glad you mentioned the Bible, MaRina.  I love the Bible stories.  The Bible has impacted my life more than any book I have ever read.  I would love to say in what way that it has impacted my life, but I know from experience it would go poof!  To some here I would be preaching and while I don't think I do that, some people have obviously thought I went too far. Anymore, I just don't know what's too far and what's not.  To stay here, you have to follow the rules whether you like them or not. 

@jubilant Heart Heart Heart