Honored Contributor

Re: Stores requiring their app for deals

@Venezia wrote:

@granddi - I'm with you.  I have several retailers that I've dealt with for years, suddenly only offering "deals" to those who download their app.

Some of them require you to pay through the app.

Not going to happen.  I'm not adding anything to my phone that could be compromised, if I lose my phone or someone hacks it.  I'll live without the "deals".

@Venezia 

I refuse to install a gazillion apps on my phone ... or to have them just to check the price of an item. 

Since when are customers expected to provide equipment to be able to shop in any store?   Heck no!

Can anyone see the beginnings of a Class Action Lawsuit? 

Honored Contributor

@Qgirl26 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I don't like the apps either.  More hoops to jump through, and then you have to scan your own items at the store for checkout.  I also don't want to have to have my phone out while I'm shopping trying to find discounts or coupons.  

What drives me crazy is that Kroger has coupons if you scan the code to clip the coupon. Last thing I want to have to do is scan a bunch of codes while I'm in the middle of grocery shopping! I know you can go in the app beforehand to find all the coupons but that can get tedious too. I just want to get in and get out but the penny pincher in me won't let me go without scanning those codes. I grumble all the way too, lol. I don't get why they can't just give us all the darn sale price to begin with!

@Qgirl26   @granddi 

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't that mean that Kroger will charge higher prices for people who don't have or use smart phones when they shop there?  Isn't that ... uh .... discrimination?

Respected Contributor

Stop ranting.  Waste of breath and energy.  Vote with your feet.

Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

I find certain apps very useful.

I was in Walmart the other day, and the item I wanted to buy didn't have a price listed on the shelf. So I used their app to scan the barcode and get the price.  

I also use the Target and Walmart apps to check product availability and price. It also shows me the location of the product in the store. 
The apps are much more accurate than their websites. 

Since I often shop at WM I do download the app when shopping, for pricing & location.   Neither works on a consistent basis so I abandoned it.  Prices are wrong & the items can't be found.  There are often WM shoppers filling pick up orders & they have been very accommodating in using their hand held device to help me.

Call me a dinosaur but my phone is just that.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000 It is difficult to vote if all places require an app. Even Jimmy Johns goes on and on and all we want is a box lunch.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apps use a lot of battery, even if you aren't accessing them.  Plus I downloaded a parking app, found out 2 days later that it was not considered safe, so I deleted that..  I only have one from a local restaurant I go to, because I can scan my bar code on my reciept to get money back.  

I do get annoyed when places only give deals if you use their app.  Years ago a small local BBQ place started that.  I asked them if I could have the same deal, a that time I didn't even use a cell phone.  They refused, so I told them I wouldn't return.  They went out of business a couple years later.

I really dislike fast food places that make  you use their app to even see their menu with prices, also to see if they have any specials.  

And as far as accessing coupons on my cell phone to use in the store, I tried that with Bed Bath and Beyond.  By the time I fumbled with my phone logging in, I was tired of it all.  Plus, I then had to put my phone down, to be able to get my money out to pay.  I was afraid I would leave my phone,  I am perfectly able to use my phone, I just choose not to, just to shop.

Honored Contributor

I don't use apps. Most don't work well or aren't user friendly.  And it means I don't get that deal. My choice.

Equal or the same deals can be found on Mr. Rebates, Retailmenot, etc. If not, I don't buy until there is a promo code or the retailer offers a deal too good to pass up. 

Respected Contributor

I'm sick of apps on my phone.  I deleted all apps and don't miss it.  Maybe stores will get a hint people don't want all these apps on their phone.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Qgirl26 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I don't like the apps either.  More hoops to jump through, and then you have to scan your own items at the store for checkout.  I also don't want to have to have my phone out while I'm shopping trying to find discounts or coupons.  

What drives me crazy is that Kroger has coupons if you scan the code to clip the coupon. Last thing I want to have to do is scan a bunch of codes while I'm in the middle of grocery shopping! I know you can go in the app beforehand to find all the coupons but that can get tedious too. I just want to get in and get out but the penny pincher in me won't let me go without scanning those codes. I grumble all the way too, lol. I don't get why they can't just give us all the darn sale price to begin with!

@Qgirl26   @granddi 

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't that mean that Kroger will charge higher prices for people who don't have or use smart phones when they shop there?  Isn't that ... uh .... discrimination?

No, discrimination is detrimental action against a protected class.  People who are too obstinate to use an app are not a protected class.

Honored Contributor

We just don't do apps.