Honored Contributor

Re: Stores requiring their app for deals

I don't bank on my phone nor do I shop.  You can disagree, but it won't change my mind.  Way too much hacking going on. I also don't trust the Cloud with my stuff.

Regardless, these days you would think any B&M store would want to encourage customers to visit even if they are also online.  People who visit stores tend to browse more which usually ends up meaning they spend more.  To deny them the same specials as what is advertised seems to me is detrimental to their own bottom line.  

I gave up on coupons long ago.  Whether paper or online the majority are not something I have on my list and I'm not buying something just because I have a coupon for it.  

Honored Contributor

I don't own a smart phone and it's not b/c I don't want one but it's b/c I have severe dexterity issues where I can't hold or use one. Most people will never understand it so I just say I don't have a cell phone and leave it at that. Not worth the pain to get deals.

Honored Contributor

I still pop into Whole Foods now and then and I just need to enter the phone number linked to Amazon. 

I am surprised at Sprouts;  I recently purchased some of their spices on the BOGO sale and didn't need an app.  I hardly shop there but I once in a bit I will check them out online and saw the sale on their spices.

I agree, though, about downloading the apps.  I do not do that, either.

I am glad Trader Joe's does not have an app;  we are there every week and the Fearless Flyer is available online or through email if you like; I do see less and less of the paper version in the store lately.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I don't like the apps either.  More hoops to jump through, and then you have to scan your own items at the store for checkout.  I also don't want to have to have my phone out while I'm shopping trying to find discounts or coupons.  

What drives me crazy is that Kroger has coupons if you scan the code to clip the coupon. Last thing I want to have to do is scan a bunch of codes while I'm in the middle of grocery shopping! I know you can go in the app beforehand to find all the coupons but that can get tedious too. I just want to get in and get out but the penny pincher in me won't let me go without scanning those codes. I grumble all the way too, lol. I don't get why they can't just give us all the darn sale price to begin with!

Valued Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

I was in Sprouts looking for some vitamins I saw on their ad online....when I got to the checkout I was charged full price rather than 50% off as the ad had said. I told her if she had a copy of the ad I could show her it was on sale. She said " nobody does paper ads anymore". So I said can I show you on my phone? She was looking at the line behind me and said no. I haven't been back there since. 
I am also finding almost every item in the weekly ad at most grocery stores here rings mu at a much higher price than even posted on the shelf, let alone what the sale prices are. I think weekly grocery store ads are totally bogus now. Apps are just one more thing to fool with in the store; I don't even bother with coupons now...I think apps are the new coupons.

@Trailrun23, you are a lot nicer than me because I wouldn't have asked if I could show her. I would have told her I was showing her. Period.

Respected Contributor

I find certain apps very useful.

I was in Walmart the other day, and the item I wanted to buy didn't have a price listed on the shelf. So I used their app to scan the barcode and get the price.  

I also use the Target and Walmart apps to check product availability and price. It also shows me the location of the product in the store. 
The apps are much more accurate than their websites. 

Valued Contributor

@deeva wrote:

I find certain apps very useful.

I was in Walmart the other day, and the item I wanted to buy didn't have a price listed on the shelf. So I used their app to scan the barcode and get the price.  

I also use the Target and Walmart apps to check product availability and price. It also shows me the location of the product in the store. 
The apps are much more accurate than their websites. 

These are excellent points, @deeva . I use my apps for that too. I just hate having to scan the coupon codes.

Honored Contributor

I don't want to download apps for stores so if a product needs the store app to get the sale price, I don't buy it. I don't want to be tracked so, while I have my phone with me, it's turned off. Some haven't a smart phone, some can't afford one, so that those most in need of the lower price are deprived of it. There is no reason that a store card shouldn't provide the sale price without a phone app. Using the store app provides personal information for the purpose of target marketing. 

Valued Contributor

I shop at 3 local supermarkets. Two of them do not use apps.  The other, Stop & Shop,

has an app for which you can send digital coupons to your card.  These deals are over and above discounts for those who wish to use this feature.  For instance, my Coke Zero 

2 litre bottles (which are about $2.29-$2.49 EACH in other stores!) are on sale nearly every other week at S&S.  They used to be 5 for $6, but now they are up to 4 for $6.

If you download the digital coupon you get an ADDITIONAL $1.00 off, making it 4 bottles for $5.00!   Ground beef is another item that goes on sale for $4.99 lb.  With the digital coupon you save an additional $1.00 lb making it a really good deal at $3.99lb!

A shopper who doen't use the app or download the digital coupons still gets the regular sale prices in store, but the digital coupon clipper gets even better savings.  I swipe my card at the beginning of checkout and get all the best prices that can be had.

The 2 stores that do not use an app often have ground beef at a similar price when running sales, but my treasured Coke is only at S&S for this fantastic price!

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I don't bank on my phone nor do I shop.  You can disagree, but it won't change my mind.  Way too much hacking going on. I also don't trust the Cloud with my stuff.

@Icegoddess - Neither do I.  It's already been hacked big-time at least once - that we know of.  (I'll guarantee it's been hacked more than that.)

A career in I.T. left me with a healthy distrust of these "one place stop & shop" storage facilities.  A hacker's paradise.

I can't believe anyone would upload all of their personal, financial and other information to the Cloud (or any similar repository).  Trust them to keep my confidential info safe?  Not in this lifetime.  Same for password keepers.

I was really p-oed when I found that after an update of my iPad, Apple had changed my settings to their default and my photos were being loaded to the Cloud.  Now I check after every update.  (And I do the same on DH's iPad and PC, since he has no awareness of any of it.)