Honored Contributor

Re: Stores requiring their app for deals

@Midmod wrote:
And if the qr code doesn't properly scan for some reason .... then what? They won't let you in?

People need to start pushing back. We shouldn't have to jump through hoops to try to spend money ... it's beyond stupid!

@tinkerbell44
The old price scanners they had throughout the stores rarely worked. An associate once told me that young persons would play with them, unplug them, push the buttons incessantly until they would have to have an associate reset it for it to work properly.
That was aggravating IMO.
At least the app let's you get a price without having to take it to the register. Also, I have found buying an item ( for me it's been beauty items) can many times be less expensive than buying in store. For example, I am interested in item X, I scan it and it's less expensive than shelf price. But I have asked associates to use their store scanner on the same item.... It's shelf price for them. Since I'm a Walmart+ member, it ships free. But that's what works for me.
You might like the other features such as being notified of a drop in price for an item you've been looking at.

Also you don't have to store your personal information in the app if you choose not to. All the app needs is an email and password to protect your account.
I hope I have helped you
Blessed Sunday to you

@Midmod 

I'm not disputing your conversation with the person at whichever store it was, but that's definitely not my experience.

I have shopped at a multitude of Targets and Walmarts (on both coasts) and never have a price scanner "rarely work".   

I just don't think customers should have to provide equipment to be able to shop in the stores they like to shop in.  Hey, there are plenty of other stores out there that want our money, and I am not going to be coerced into having a ton of apps on my phone.  

Trusted Contributor

I don't mind an app if it's user friendly and I know I will constantly use it. There are some stores that don't offer many instant savings or I just don't go into much. IMO, those are stores I will just avoid.
I don't have a Kroger store and that description of having to scan a barcode of every item you want to buy to get a lower price sounds like a lot of painful extra work.
🙄
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Read posts by @Venezia                                @shoekitty@Icegoddess@occasionalrain

Doesn't everyone realize that retail businesses are in business to

benefit themselves, not the public? Having these apps on our phones are just for retail marketing purposes.

They track our activity and sell our information to other companies. They are in business for profits. Their marketing and advertising methods make the consumers think that they are giving us great savings and rewards.

We might accumulate some reward points and save a few dollars here and there, but high prices on other neccessary items probably make up for the "savings" that they are giving us.

The two stores here that offer "digital savings" are much higher in all their prices than our Market Basket that has all around lower prices, weekly sales and no apps or coupons required.

It is all about tracking us through our phones for marketing purposes, while psychologically making us think that we are getting "deals" with the apps.

Respected Contributor

I use apps for a lot of things, but don't like having to jump through hoops to get a deal that the store should be giving to all shoppers anyway. Of course, when you download the app or the card, all of your purchases will tracked and you will get emails and coupons. I thought the whole purpose of the app was to not have to use coupons.....

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff 

Just curious .... is it outside the realm of possibility that any company's app might be hacked and end up going haywire in our phones?     

If they can hack hospitals and government agencies, who's to say they can't hack an app and go through everything in a dinky little cell phone?

Honored Contributor

Amazon is experimenting with brick-and-mortar stores where you need the app to just get in. They have at least one in London that a YouTuber I follow (Jazzybum) and her boyfriend went to. They have a turn-style type entry where you need their app to get in. Once in the store cameras follow you and watch what you pick up and everything has an RFID tag. You then just walk out of the store after you're done shopping and the payment is deducted automatically. You can't even get into the store without the Amazon app on your phone though.

I use the Acme app on my phone and their digital coupons. It can save me a lot of money over the course of the year. You don't need the phone with you when you checkout, just the phone number. You scan your first item, then enter your phone number into the terminal, and then finish checking out. The money I save makes it worthwhile. I get bonuses also. With the Acme app, things I buy regularly are marked down regularly to encourage me to still shop there. Those not using the app don't get the same bargains. They pay full price while I get things at a discount. 

Most stores have in-store Wi-Fi available these days, so you don't need a cellular good signal to use the apps in-store. I tend to do my app usage at home on my Wi-Fi and then just keep my phone in my pocket while shopping. If you need to access the app while in the store though, you should be able to connect to the store's Wi-Fi. 

Futurists tend to think that with facial recognition software and other tracking means, everything will be done digitally and automatically. A store will recognize you when you enter the store. Watch as you shop. offer suggestions based on your history on your phone or on monitors/speakers in the store. Then automatically deduct money from your account for your purchases as you leave. 

If you're in the app creation world, a new shopping app where you enter your shopping list, and the app then submits your list to various local retailers to see who will give you the lowest price might be a doable product. You just make your list, hit submit, and the app does the rest. It sends the list to the local retailers in your area and whichever one offers the lowest price gets promoted. Maybe it gives each retailer a chance to offer their best price. Call it ehaggle.com. The app scans their sites to see the prices of the items on your list, then submits its finding to each retailer to give them a chance to improve their offer. If they do, then the new prices get submitted back again until no one ups their offer. Then you're given the results with the option to buy from whichever one you want.

It could work for groceries, electronics, furniture, and anything you buy. You simply tell the app, "I want this." It then does the haggling for you to get you the best possible deal and reports back the results. If you can get Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, etc. involved in a bidding war for your business with each purchase, it could save you a lot of money. What would be in it for the retailer? They make no money from not selling an item. If they must take a smaller profit from selling something after a long haggling session, they're still making something which is better than nothing. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

I hope I'm always willing to evolve with technology and learn something new. It must be so frustrating to shake your fist at the wind everytime you leave the house.

@Love to Run - LOL.  I doubt that those of us who prefer not to have a multitude of apps on our phones are shaking our fists at the wind every time we leave the house!

And it has nothing to do with evolving with technology or learning something new, at least in my case.  (My career was I.T. so evolving with technology was required.)

It's a personal choice how much of our confidential data each of us wants out there.

BTW, there are many "new things" to learn and they don't all involve technology.  Many people are learning new things all the time.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Exactly!

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Maggie Nolia wrote:

Yeah, well, that assumes everyone is packing a smart phone.  And it's becoming more widespread, spreading like a cancer.  But you know what assuming does.

Anyway, I am not packing a smart phone.  My phone is a dumb phone, and I usually don't have it with me.

Recently ordered concert tickets via web site.  After jumping through all those hoops, the end is that the QR code or QA code, whatever, is to serve as a "ticket" and is sent to purchaser's email.  There is no other option.

I've done this many times and have always been given the option of tickets being mailed or emailed or held at box office to be picked up at venue right before event.

I forwarded the emailed code to friend, who will accompany me to the concert, who has the required, but not advised as required beforehand, smart phone.

Not even going to get into the plethora of potential problems that a code on a smart phone as a "ticket" might encounter.

@Maggie Nolia 

And if the qr code doesn't properly scan for some reason .... then what?  They won't let you in?

People need to start pushing back.  We shouldn't have to jump through hoops to try to spend money ... it's beyond stupid!

Yeah, QR code not properly scanning would be just one of the plethora of potential problems.

Told my friend I wouldn't be doing the ordering of tickets anymore.  

I agree that it is beyond stupid.