Honored Contributor

Re: Stores asking you to donate To this or that charity at checkout

@Sooner wrote:

I say no.  I get my tax deductions for charities.  NOT the stores I shop with.  I'm not big on all these stores that increase their prices to donate millions to charities and get the deduction their clients deserve.  Small think I guess, but I decline to participate.

@Sooner

How do you know the stores get a tax deduction?

I can't find any mention of that, even on reports saying people don't like stores asking.

Esteemed Contributor

I did have an interesting encounter the other day at Sam's Club. A young man approached me to tell me about the D.A.R.E. program. I was in a hurry, but didn't want to just blow him off, so I reached for my wallet. When he saw he had me hooked, he suggested that I give enough to purchase one of the toys he had sitting on his table. I think it was around $13-$20. I said no thank you, and just gave him a five dollar bill. He was very polite about it.

I had mixed feelings afterward thinking I had cheaped out, but I also felt like it was presumptive of him to suggest how much to give. 

It's got to be hard trying to get $$ for worthy causes especially a few dollars at a time. So I'm torn...sometimes annoyed and other times appreciative that they try.

Respected Contributor

I chuckle when the college my daughter graduated from last year, calls her to donate.

Geez, give them a chance to get life in order and pay back what they owe first.

Honored Contributor

I like that stores do this.

It generates millions for worthwhile causes, is strictly optional, easy to do, is usually a dollar or less and makes such a difference to the charities they are collecting for. It helps me to be more giving, because I often wouldn't even think of giving to some of the good causes I have been offered at the register.

I have no problem saying no when I want/need to, and don't care who hears me. I'm not embarrassed or uncomfortable.

I do feel for the cashiers that have to put up with customers who are unhappy about being asked.

Respected Contributor

Since they usually only ask for $1, I say "yes."

Respected Contributor

I do not donate at the stores. My donations are very specific and yes, I want my deduction!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

That's one reason I do the self checkout at the grocery store. But with the exception of the Salvation Army red kettle during Christmas, I do hate when I head for the store doors and see a table set up for whoever happens to be collecting for whatever. And they're set up at both entrance/exit doors at either end of the store so you can't escape them. If they'd just sit there and be quiet I'd be more inclined to give something but when for example a bunch of high school cheerleaders practically assault you all at the same time, for car wash tickets or to help them pay for a trip they want to go on and who knows what else it irks me. Sometimes I get back in my car and go to a different grocery store.

I don't care to be accosted at the door of a business either, to buy cookies or support a bake sale, donate to some obscure charity that I'm not familiar with.

Funny, I don't mind the register thing, but dislike the ones at the door.

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine that people give the cashiers a bad time about having asked them for a donation.   

I never have (it's not their fault, anyway, that they are required to ask), and I have never seen anybody else give them a hard time.

I've just always politely said 'no, thank you' and that's it.  

Honored Contributor

The stores want to say "WE (store) gave XXXX dollars to __charity!!!!!".  

Respected Contributor

I used to say 'no, thank you' until I wondered what I was thanking them for.  Now I just say 'not today' if I'm not interested.