Respected Contributor

Re: Stores asking you to donate To this or that charity at checkout

Doesn't bother me in the least. I usually do "round up" or give a dollar or so to whatever they're supporting. If I don't want to, for whatever reason, I have no problem saying, "Not today."

Respected Contributor

Why bash the cashiers?  Why not direct questions & complaints to the managers who make the cashers ask? 

Esteemed Contributor

I am not a fan of this practice either.  I just smile and say no thank you.

The one exception to this is at PetSmart and I always donate when I check out.  At least they don't make employees ask, it asks you on the keypad when you pay.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that it can feel awkward to say no. I also think that @DoneTryin is right when she says it's harder for them to ask but they have to do it.

I've never had anyone give me "the cold shoulder" because I refused a request and I think they don't really care. It's just a part of their job and a part they'd probably rather not do.

That said, and this is probably not a PC thing to say, but I don't donate to a lot of charities. Not because I'm not the charitible type, I'm just lazy when it comes to deciding who to support. So, in my case, when the lady at the supermarket asked my to donate to Alheimer's, I was happy to do it. And when they had the adoption weekend at Petsmart I donated some dog food and a couple of bowls. It was nice because they made it so easy. 

I don't really mind it. I'm lucky to have all that I have, so every now and then it helps for someone to remind me it's time to help someone else. 

Honored Contributor

@DoneTryin wrote:

Why bash the cashiers?  Why not direct questions & complaints to the managers who make the cashers ask? 

Yes. That is a good idea. I will.send a letter off to the head of the company say Safeway....not a small fry like a store manager.

Honored Contributor

The cashiers are under a lot of pressure. My local market actually has comment cards for customers and if any of the cashiers get less than a glowing comment, it goes up on a board of shame. It's just pathetic. I wouldn't even shop there but my choices are that chain, Walmart or one other significantly inferior store as far as choices. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Caligurll wrote:

I am not a fan of this practice either.  I just smile and say no thank you.

The one exception to this is at PetSmart and I always donate when I check out.  At least they don't make employees ask, it asks you on the keypad when you pay.

I, too, always donate at PetSmart. I will usually donate $1 if asked on a store's keypad. If I'm asked in person, it depends. Most of the time I will say, "Not today, thank you." But if it's a local need - like some child has been in an accident and is from the area - or something else like that, I will usually say OK. 

Esteemed Contributor

That's one reason I do the self checkout at the grocery store. But with the exception of the Salvation Army red kettle during Christmas, I do hate when I head for the store doors and see a table set up for whoever happens to be collecting for whatever. And they're set up at both entrance/exit doors at either end of the store so you can't escape them. If they'd just sit there and be quiet I'd be more inclined to give something but when for example a bunch of high school cheerleaders practically assault you all at the same time, for car wash tickets or to help them pay for a trip they want to go on and who knows what else it irks me. Sometimes I get back in my car and go to a different grocery store.

Honored Contributor

I look at it like this, I'm lucky that I have  a basket of  items that I can afford, so a few bucks won't kill me. However, if I didn't want to. I would have no problem saying no.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

The cashiers are under a lot of pressure. My local market actually has comment cards for customers and if any of the cashiers get less than a glowing comment, it goes up on a board of shame. It's just pathetic. I wouldn't even shop there but my choices are that chain, Walmart or one other significantly inferior store as far as choices. 

@jaxs mom    Some of the checkers deserve to be on a wall of shame. Today I stopped in Albertsons...Bought my stuff.......got to my car....was over charged...went back in....she "supposedly fixed it.....got my change looked at the receipt and the change was wrong....finally got it fixed....got to my car a third time,... And she did not give me back my original receipt...HAD TO GO IN A THIRD TIME.....to get my receipt. 

I mean PLEASE.   I was a cashier for 25 years( before they started begging for money) and I never was an airhead.