Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Stores No Longer in Business

I worked at PhotoMat in the late 70s, when I was a student.  Perfect job,  because I could do homework between customers.  Downside: no bathrooms.  

-- pro-aging --
Highlighted
Contributor

I think the organ is still in Macy's in the Wanamaker building.  Also, the light show is there.

The Lits, Colonial Village and the Wanamaker monorail are at The Please Touch museum at Fairmount Park.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have so many happy memories of going into town with my mom and we would always eat at the Woolworth counter.  My favorite was ALWAYS egg salad sandwich, chips, and a chocolate milkshake.  On 11/22, it will be 19 years since she passed.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I didn't even realize some of these had closed!   

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Don't forget Wards, Mervyn's and Gottchalks.

All long gone.

@Anonymous032819  I loved Gottchalks!  Still think about it when I pass by the almost empty mall where it was.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Diamonds222 wrote:

Does anybody remember Woodward & Lothrop & The Hecht company? I miss those stores as I could find clothes anytime I went into the store.

@Diamonds222  I rememeber both of those stores. "Woodies" and Hecht, when I was living and working in DC in the 70s.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Diamonds222 wrote:

Does anybody remember Woodward & Lothrop & The Hecht company? I miss those stores as I could find clothes anytime I went into the store.

@Diamonds222  Yes, I do. Together with Garfinkels... and Raleigh's...  I still miss Woodies. It was my favorite store of all time.

@stevieb  I remember Garfinkels, in particular a wool camel coat I bought there in the 70s.  This thread is really bringing back the memories for me.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

In Canada stores that went out of business:

Eaton's - (I bought a pink tapestry print office chair that was from their mall store's office when they went out of business)

Woodward's (western Canada)

Simpsons (merged with Sears Canada)

Woolco (a subsidiary of Woolworth's that was sold to Walmart back in 1994 - that's how Walmart entered Canada successfully.)

Zellers (owned by HBC)

Home Outfitters (also owned by HBC)

Target Canada (lasted less than 2 years in Canada.)

Sears Canada - (I also bought a nice teal blue office chair that belonged in their mall store's office when they went out of business.)

Lumberland - bought out by Rona. Rona, a Canadian company was bought out by Lowe's. Lowe's is in the process of closing underperforming Rona and Lowe's stores in Canada right now. Who knows how much longer Lowe's will be in Canada? Their store prices are usually higher than Home Depot Canada.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I used to shop at Wieboldt's department stores in Chicago. 
Growing up I would buy pop beads at Woolworths. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

BAltman, Bonwit Teller, Ohrbach, Franklin Simon but I cant imagine Fifth Ave NYC without the beautiful windows of Lord & Taylor during the holiday season.