Respected Contributor

Re: Stores No Longer in Business

Radio Shack is still in business.

I miss Woolworth’s.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@NancyE wrote:

Very sad. I worked retail my whole life. Started in Jan. 1976 and wrapped it up in Oct. of 2017. I never thought it would come to this. Shopping for me was more than just going out to get something you need. It was more of go with a friend, laugh, talk, have lunch. And when I worked in retail, I tried to make sure my customers had a pleasant experience. In this day and age, it seems like the less human contact, the better. I know most younger people prefer to shop online. This includes my own grown kids. I still like to shop brick and mortar over online. Is online shopping a trend, or is it here to stay?

Online shopping is here to stay.

How do you think people are going to shop once all of the mall lovers die?

Online, that's how.

Can't put the genie back in the bottle.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Memories!! I miss all those stores!!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Don't forget Wards, Mervyn's and Gottchalks.

All long gone.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I know some older folks that have difficutly with online shopping.  It's not that easy for them to navigate websites, and their insecurity regarding identity theft. @Anonymous032819 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Roxxy wrote:

I know some older folks that have difficutly with online shopping.  It's not that easy for them to navigate websites, and their insecurity regarding identity theft. @Anonymous032819 

That's true, but you asked if online shopping was just a fad, or if it was here to stay.

The younger generation loves to shop online.

Do you honestly think that they are going to give that up?

No, they won't.

Eventually, the last person who loves to go out to shop will be dead, then only the online shoppers will be left, which is the young people.

That is exactly why online shopping is here to stay.

Does that answer your question as to whether online shopping is a fad, or is here to stay?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Roxxy wrote:

@ValuSkr  When I was a kid, Woolworth's sold parakeets.  Loved to look at the pretty yellow, blue and green birds.

@Roxxy   Yes, I remember the pet area at Woolworth's!  It was small, but, as a child, it was a must-see every time we went to Woolworth's.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I love to shop online. Selected stores I still like to go to in person but they are the stores that are my kryptonite: Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, bookstores. Overall I’ll take online shopping any day.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for these pictures @Roxxy!  I can still remember my grandmother bringing me in Woolworth's to shop and eat ice cream at the counter. Great memories!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819  I know online shopping is here to stay.  I never questioned if it was a fad.