Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Stores No Longer in Business

We loved those old stores, even the five and dimes. We'd get artificial flowers for Mom at Kresge's or Neisner's lol, and Woolworth had the best makeup department--we'd often meet classmates there after school.

...J.M. Fields, and catalogue stores such as Present Company, Naum Bros., and Service Merchandise (great jewelry). Sibley's, McCurdy's, The National, Edwards, B. Forman Co., Fanny Farmer (local stores). I even miss the old drug stores: Key, Fay's, Eckerd, Freddy's. I seldom buy from drug stores today because they're so expensive. But pre-Walmart, they weren't.

Then there were the other discount stores: Shoppers Fair, Arlans, and G.E.M. (Government Employees Mart). All such stores went out in a big wave in the early '70s. I remember they all sold popcorn in their lobbies. 😃

Nice memories.

What worries you masters you.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

What a great (although sad in many ways) post.  You all brought back so many wonderful memories of so many of the stores my mom and me used to shop in.  We used to go to Klein's Dept. store in NYC and then afterwards go to the Automat (for those too young to remember, it was a cafeteria where there were all these windows with all kinds of food and you just inserted some coins and the glass door opened up).  Loved that!  Miss Woolworth's very much.  I bought a plant there 25 years ago, and it is still going strong!  Miss Caldors, B. Altman, Gimbels, A&P, Dress Barn and Barnes and Nobel and so many more that were mentioned above. When I was 17, they had just opened an Alexander's Dept. Store on 59th and Lex in NYC and I was the youngest employee they hired (worked after school at nights and had to get working papers) I felt so independent and grown up, it was such an exciting time to be a teenager.  Miss so much of those days gone by.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

And the MALL stores:

Barbara Moss, Kay-Bee toys, Record Town, Wicks 'n' Sticks, Hickory Farms (when it was a store with a quaint red barn exterior, instead of a kiosk), Camelot Music, Shed House (THE place for jeans lol), Caren Charles, Lechters (housewares), B Dalton Books, Waldenbooks (no one sold more of those spiral-bound garden club/church cookbooks than Waldenbooks lol), The Nature Company (with the waterfall out front)...

What worries you masters you.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@moonlady wrote:
And the MALL stores:

Barbara Moss, Kay-Bee toys, Record Town, Wicks 'n' Sticks, Hickory Farms (when it was a store with a quaint red barn exterior, instead of a kiosk), Camelot Music, Shed House (THE place for jeans lol), Caren Charles, Lechters (housewares), B Dalton Books, Waldenbooks (no one sold more of those spiral-bound garden club/church cookbooks than Waldenbooks lol), The Nature Company (with the waterfall out front)...

moonlady:  Yes, I remember B. Dalton books as well s Waldenbooks, loved those stores.  Speaking of Lechters, I still have a magnet of a woman with an apron (redhead like me), has my name on it.  I bought that many, many years ago and I still have it.  Used to love browsing in that store.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@loveour4leggedfriends  Oh yes, I'd forgotten about Klein's... And now that you mention it, I remember GEM... 

Also miss all the candy stores that have bit the dust and remember at one time all the major department stores had candy counters, NOT with prepackaged goods, though they sold those too, but with actual individual candies you could select and purchase as many pieces as you wanted...

Also, in my area, there are virtually no furniture stores left... I used to love to go and just look at furniture but there appear to be none left without driving an hour out of my way... There used to be many but it seems now nice furniture has given way to the mostly unappealing 'do it yourself' and throw it away in five years variety...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...