Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Stores No Longer in Business

During my youth, no Christmas was complete without a trip to Wannamakers in downtown Philadelphia to hear the organ.  Largest pipe organ in the world.. ..I wonder what happened to it?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

When I grew up there were Tops stores and Big R.  I guess they were similar to today's Walmart/Target.

Remember Venture Stores too.   They had a lot of great stuff, and great sales.  Similar to today's Target.  

Dominick's grocery stores.  Cub Foods.  Ultra Foods.

Oh my, a lot of great stores I shopped at are long gone.

Thanks for posting the pictures, brought back memories!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Goldie76 

The used to also sell some kind of lizard at the Los Angeles County Fair that you pinned to your clothes and it changed color depending on what it was on.  For the life of me I can't remember what they were called.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I remember all of them except Sports Authority.  I loved to shop at Gimbels and also Kaufman's (also no longer here).  Marshall Fields, Petite Sophisticate, Speigels Kresges 5&10, G.C. Murphy 5&10.  So many.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Roxxy   When I was a kid we bought several parakeets at Woolworths.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Does anybody remember Woodward & Lothrop & The Hecht company? I miss those stores as I could find clothes anytime I went into the store.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Diamonds222 wrote:

Does anybody remember Woodward & Lothrop & The Hecht company? I miss those stores as I could find clothes anytime I went into the store.

@Diamonds222  Yes, I do. Together with Garfinkels... and Raleigh's...  I still miss Woodies. It was my favorite store of all time.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Every year about this time a thread like this pops up. It must be the nostalgia associated with the season. I remember so many larger stores and smaller 'boutiqe' type stores in my region that are not longer. Along with the 'nicer' stores, I also miss the many 'five and dime' stores that were a staple of my childhood: Woolworth, Woolco, GC Murphy, Greene's, Kresge's, Grant's, Ben Franklin and on and on...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

DiAnne,

How did you have the courage to wear a lizard?!  LOL  I'm so frightened by reptiles.  When I lived in Miami, I rued the fact that lizards rather than squirrels were scurrying about.

Leave it to California to put an exotic spin on the strange "pets" we once bought.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

stevieb,

You named stores that hold great sentimental value for me.  For my second (and what I consider my only genuine) wedding, I chose a lovely cream-colored dress from Raleigh's.  As I recall, I even bought the shoes there although I don't clearly remember that they sold shoes.  Ah, how I loved them: a strappy beige affair adorned with a thin brass decoration at the top of the heel.

Very often I bought my DH's Christmas presents there, too. 

Garfinckels's was my other favorite store when I needed something special and tailored.  Their buyer had exquisite taste (at least for my inclinations and aspirations).

But Woodies.  Woodies was the go-to store.  

Do you remember Jelleff's and Haber's?