Honored Contributor

Re: Stores Charging for Returns

I know retailers charge for shipping if you use their label but is this in top of that?

Respected Contributor

Some of those listed are for return shipping, not a return fee.  I shop LL Bean a lot online and only pay shipping.  I've never been charged a return fee.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For the most part, I think returns to retailers is part of the cost of doing business.

Like it or not, they have to realize not everything works out and they should expect to offer good customer service.

However, I think we may see serious consumer pushback on returns charges .... can anyone see CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS on the horizon?

Respected Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

I just went to the Nordstrom website. It says nothing about charging for returns. That could be for Nordstrom Rack.

I found this..
How much does Nordstrom Rack charge to return by mail?

Returns are processed in 10-14 business days and refunds can be expected 5-7 business days after processing. Please note, a returns shipping charge of $9.95 will be deducted from your refund per prepaid shipping label used.
Honored Contributor

I wonder if those charges could be for pre-paid return labels on internet orders like QVC has for $6.95?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Well, as most of you know, it's a joke in some communities (even show business) that you intend to return a garment as soon as you wear it to "such and such" a function. That, to me" is wrong and should have a "penalty". This and shoplifting are going to be the demise of brick and mortar as we know it.

Honored Contributor

As long as these are "shipping" fees and not "return" fees I see nothing wrong with them.  Returning an item to the store should be free.  

Honored Contributor

I don't have a problem with any store charging for returns.  People take advantage of return policies.  They don't shop carefully, they don't try things on, they don't think about colors and styles they already own.  They just think "I can return it" if it doesn't work out.  

Respected Contributor

These are return shipping fees, not return fees. I have recently returned in store at Kohls, Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack. My cousin works at Saks, there is no return fee in store. I returned by mail at Footlocker and was NOT charged a return shipping fee - Footlocker sent me a label free of charge. This could be because I am a Footlocker rewards member.

Respected Contributor

@spumoni99 wrote:

I found the article, this is for when you ship something back to the store not for in store returns.

looks like the charge might be if item was originally shipped for free.