Re: Stop Sign Texting

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

@sidsmom@CrazyDaisy

I'm that person who was watching you drive. 

I would suggest watching the road ahead of you.

The law stipulates that.

You watch the road ahead of you, you see to both sides and behind you because you are equipped with mirrors.

No one keeps their eyes riveted on the road ahead if they are defensive drivers.  They have to have 360 vision.  

Surely we all know this.  If not, you need to go back to Driver Ed.

But people will say this person was texting without seeing the device.

The assumption was made because someone was looking down. 

If I see someone in my rear view mirror, you can barely make out

the gender of the driver, much less if they were on a cell phone. 

And yes, peripheral vision is paramount, but there’s no way 

peripheral vision would allow someone to determine the driver

beside them is texting...at 60mph...without you actually taking

your eyes off the road.  Funny how people will try to justify

their distracted driving over someone else’s distracted driving. 

Same = Same. 

I sure saw the phone in the guy's hand when he rearended me at a stop sign (he told me "I thought you had already gone").  I saw it clearly in my rearview mirror as he hit me.  He admitted it afterwards.  He could have pushed me into oncoming traffic.

I see phones on tops of steering wheels in cars to the side of me.

I've seen people waving their phones at one another in same car as they are whizzing past me, drifting into other lanes.

I see very well what is happening with phones and texting in cars.

I don't know why you don't. 

Listening to my radio while driving is no comparison to someone texting and driving.  No comparison at all.  So really, stop already with the "whatabout" isms.

I’m sorry you were in an accident.

That type of accident could’ve been caused by any number of things...

distracted driving being one of them. I, too, was in an accident.

Back in mid-90’s, far from cell phone age. I had green light &

a girl t-boned me...tipped me over. She said she wasn’t paying attention. 

I didn’t hold anything on her. It was just a thing that happened.

I don’t see phones & texting in cars. I’m too focused on 55-60-65mph

traffic around me. Don’t see a lot of dramatic driving described.

But I live in a large metroplex...the traffic is tighter &

everyone has to stay on point.  

And I’m a good driver.

Even my SO, who’s a Dallas Police Officer, let’s me drive everywhere.

He thinks I’m a good driver...wonderful stamp-of-approval

having a Police Officer qualify your driving technique. 

If I see someone inching over, I immediately pull back or change 

lanes if my Spidey-Sense is alerted. Doesn’t everyone?

My BFF, though?  If I’m driving, he’s sitting in the passenger seat

yelling at everyone & punching the dashboard and is shocked

‘I don’t see it.’ Doesn’t everyone? Obviously not me! 🙂

My SO says I have a 6th Sense w/ driving...

and I also have Driving Zen. I sense issues & avoid, if possible.  

Again, doesn’t everyone?

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@willomenia wrote:
The solution to this problem is to make any mobile device inoperable while the vehicle is in motion. Yes, that includes the passengers phone. How many times does a passenger show the driver something on their phone? I teach drivers education, and it's a known fact the brain can't multi-task if your concentrating on your phone conversation, your driving is now a secondary function. And yes, there is a difference between talking to a passenger and talking on the phone. Your passenger sees what you might have to react to on the road, the phone person can't see that, therefore they will continue to talk and distract you. Besides, in most states it's the law, always remember your kids are watching you. You use your phone your kids will too. Combine that with inexperience, that's a deadly mistake

Does that include the radio & music players?

What about outside-the-car distractions?

And legally-impaired driving?

All these things make driving a secondary function.

All these things have been in our cars for decades.

But we have more accidents these days! 

HAS to be the cell phone!”

Answer: There are more people driving, so of course there will be

more accidents.

And...like many threads I’ve seen just in this closed environment

of this forum....many old folks want to keep driving longer, as they age.

Just that will make the accident #s rise, with no mention of a cell phone.

Wasn’t there a thread recently about an older man who got in an

accident, got his license revoked? But by-darn-it, he was going to

get it back.  Very unsafe driver & statistics show he will probably

have another accident...all without no mention of a cell phone. 

I feel sorry for all those working hard for MADD.

Seems like their cause has been forgotten. 

Yes, there are too many distractions inside the car nowadays. Older drivers do not have as many accidents as teenagers, mainly because they don't drive as much as they agrr,, and their experience is better. Texting while driving per a study done at the university of Utah, is the equivalent to a blood alcohol level of .08 . You said there are more accidents because more people are driving, actually there should be less, since safety features have increased considerable in frequent years with vehicles. By the way, there are very few accidents, there called crashes. 80% od all crashes are driver error

Trusted Contributor
Just one more thing, for those of you who think it's okay to talk on your phone while operating a vehicle, I guess you think it's okay for the train conductor to talk on his phone and operate his vehicle (the train is his vehicle at the time) or how about your airline pilot, or better yet your school bus driver transporting your children.
Valued Contributor

When you're driving, whether you're stopped at an intersection, wandering 25 mph neighborhood streets, or speeding down the highway all your attention should be on driving. Not listening to the radio, yelling at your kids, eating your lunch, putting on your makeup, or heaven forbid talking or texting on the phone. All those things distract your vision, hearing and attention from the most important task at hand and endangers your passengers and other drivers. 

For instance it's been medically proven that when one is listening to something (radio, conversation, phone) your peripheral vision actually constricts and you're less likely to see something coming at you from the side. 

Driving comes with social responsibilities. Please put away the phones! 

Respected Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

Call me old fashioned, but people should not be doing anything in their vehicles except driving.   Cars have become entertainment centers  So far removed from their intended use, which is simply a machine made to get you from one place to another.

You are so right!

IAT!!!!

'Nuff said! AMEN!!!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

I am thinking about the toll booth operator that called the police on a person texting as it was reported to them. 

The toll booth operator called the police said another car told her that somebody was texting  - they were driving erratic by swerving in her lane?  Then the police officer chased them down and pulled them over because the Toll Booth operator called them ...

Not all driving erratically "means" anything. the other day a bee somehow got in the car and landed on my arm. I can guarantee you I was driving erratically and my phone was buried in my purse..

I commute and am on the road a lot..hours a day. Texting is not the only issue. Oh there is a lot of distracted driving going on....I see so many putting on makeup - opening a bag of something - chips etc...eating - dealing with children in the back seat - handing sippy cups, bottles, a toy etc..I have seen it all. I commute all over ........ .all of that is distracted driving but if you are doing ANYTHING but driving you are distracted .. I am not defending texting and driving at all..but there is a lot of attention on that meanwhile there is a lot of distracted driving going on ..when people are doing many other things while driving. A poster just said her husband fiddles with the radio and GPS while driving...that is distracted driving.

I have more of an issue with the fool that is weaving in and out of traffic like a bat out of nowhere - zipping around cars in all lanes. That happens way more than texting. Easily a couple times in every direction... I am on the road enough and while I am sure there are probably people texting - I am paying attention to my own driving and the road around me.

I also know  - from experience..the another issue on the roads is motorcylces. I see so many signs "watch for motorcycles..." when my personal experience is just the opposite - stuck in traffic and it happens daily - they are zipping around all the cars - trucks - on the shoulder of the road- to bypass the traffic. Causing a lot of distraction alone watching out for them...

There are so many issues on the road driving - that it seems texting gets the most attention while the rest of the distractions are overlooked or forgotten.

As for somebody stopped at a Stop Light..texting or grabbing your phone isn't the only thing. I one time saw somebody with the newspaper out. 

Honored Contributor

@CouponQueen

Motorcycles...yeah, I see those weaving in-out.

Makes me nervous. Even more so when you see the

unicorn-motorcycle-wheelie guy...kinda like this (Google):

064DA83C-7732-48AC-80C5-29F13AFE31CD.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

@sidsmom@CrazyDaisy

I'm that person who was watching you drive. 

I would suggest watching the road ahead of you.

The law stipulates that.

You watch the road ahead of you, you see to both sides and behind you because you are equipped with mirrors.

No one keeps their eyes riveted on the road ahead if they are defensive drivers.  They have to have 360 vision.  

Surely we all know this.  If not, you need to go back to Driver Ed.

But people will say this person was texting without seeing the device.

The assumption was made because someone was looking down. 

If I see someone in my rear view mirror, you can barely make out

the gender of the driver, much less if they were on a cell phone. 

And yes, peripheral vision is paramount, but there’s no way 

peripheral vision would allow someone to determine the driver

beside them is texting...at 60mph...without you actually taking

your eyes off the road.  Funny how people will try to justify

their distracted driving over someone else’s distracted driving. 

Same = Same. 

I sure saw the phone in the guy's hand when he rearended me at a stop sign (he told me "I thought you had already gone").  I saw it clearly in my rearview mirror as he hit me.  He admitted it afterwards.  He could have pushed me into oncoming traffic.

I see phones on tops of steering wheels in cars to the side of me.

I've seen people waving their phones at one another in same car as they are whizzing past me, drifting into other lanes.

I see very well what is happening with phones and texting in cars.

I don't know why you don't. 

Listening to my radio while driving is no comparison to someone texting and driving.  No comparison at all.  So really, stop already with the "whatabout" isms.

I’m sorry you were in an accident.

That type of accident could’ve been caused by any number of things...

distracted driving being one of them. I, too, was in an accident.

Back in mid-90’s, far from cell phone age. I had green light &

a girl t-boned me...tipped me over. She said she wasn’t paying attention. 

I didn’t hold anything on her. It was just a thing that happened.

I don’t see phones & texting in cars. I’m too focused on 55-60-65mph

traffic around me. Don’t see a lot of dramatic driving described.

But I live in a large metroplex...the traffic is tighter &

everyone has to stay on point.  

And I’m a good driver.

Even my SO, who’s a Dallas Police Officer, let’s me drive everywhere.

He thinks I’m a good driver...wonderful stamp-of-approval

having a Police Officer qualify your driving technique. 

If I see someone inching over, I immediately pull back or change 

lanes if my Spidey-Sense is alerted. Doesn’t everyone?

My BFF, though?  If I’m driving, he’s sitting in the passenger seat

yelling at everyone & punching the dashboard and is shocked

‘I don’t see it.’ Doesn’t everyone? Obviously not me! 🙂

My SO says I have a 6th Sense w/ driving...

and I also have Driving Zen. I sense issues & avoid, if possible.  

Again, doesn’t everyone?

I DO hold the guy responsible who rearended me.  Why wouldn't I?  I was stopped at a stop sign, waiting for traffic to clear so I could proceed.  He was busy texting and showing his phone to his car companion, paying no attention to what he should have been paying attention to (which he totally copped to when his father, who came to the scene, asked him - apparently this same thing had gotten him into a prior accident).

But this isn't just about my one accident caused by a texting driver.  It is about the many people who have been in such "accidents".  To just throw texting in a bucket with other "driving distractions" doesn't change the fact that it's a problem.

I learned to drive in NY.  I drove in NYC for years.  That taught me how to be a defensive driver and I am also a very good driver.  I have been involved in 2 other accidents in my lifetime.  Once hit from behind (My beautiful blue Corvette!), basically breaking the back of my car off at the doors) and once in the front (in New Jersey) when a guy ran a red light.  No, neither were caused by them texting, but that doesn't change the fact that the stats are showing that the percentage of accidents have increased because of so many people texting while driving.  It's not just because there are more people on the road.

I don't understand why people seem to be O.K. with accepting yet another cause of "accidents" that could be minimized by using what I (and many others) see as common sense.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I don't understand why people seem to be O.K. with accepting yet another cause of "accidents" that could be minimized by using what I (and many others) see as common sense.

@QueenDanceALot

No one is saying texting and driving is ‘O.K.’

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

No one is saying texting and driving is ‘O.K.’

O.K., I don't want to start going around in circles again here.  I've said my piece on the subject.

Gotta go to an appointment.

Later!