Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stop Lugging it With You to Every Thread

Oh goodie.

Another board police thread.

(rolls eyes)

Honored Contributor

@3suwm5 I'm not referring to any specific thread, or any specific posters, although some have a hard time believing that. Some posters DO start threads carrying on "old business" when they are ticked off. I don't.

My comment was a generality not to take grudges with you from thread to thread and not to respond personally negatively in threads going forward on other topics just because you have decided you don't like a poster.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Just my thoughts - 

Several current threads about kindness/unkindness and forum squabbles and arguers/challengers. My 2 cents worth on a related issue -

If you have a difference of opinion with someone in a given thread, even if it's heated, *leave it within the thread* and don't take personal pot-shots at the poster anywhere and everywhere you come across them in the forums, for no reason OTHER than to take a personal pot-shot.

You may very well encounter the same poster in a different thread and agree with them and heart them - that certainly happens to me. But even if you don't agree with their *opinion* on a topic in a thread, don't use the fact you are simply in the same thread because of mutual interest to fling *off-topic* personal mud at them. NO, they are not always addressing every comment they make anywhere and everywhere as a personal insult to YOU. In the scheme of things, "you" (whoever you are) are a VIP to *yourself*, but not to others. Seriously.

This holding of grudges and invariably responding in a pisthy way to certain posters who have po'd you once upon a time is to me the single largest posting "issue" there is here.

Post to the ISSUE. Disagree about the ISSUE without bringing 'history' into it. Don't just whiz personally on people you think you have a history with just because you feel like doing it, even when it's irrelevant to the thread.

In a perfect world everyone would respond as you directed. However, this is the internet with all different personalities and viewpoints.

I once read that the only person we can control is ourselves. How others respond on this forum is never really going to change. People come from different places in life and deal with things differently. I think the diversity of opinions and behaviors exhibited here are indicative of the world we live in.

I admire your wanting to make things better. I just don't think it would work....

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

In a perfect world everyone would respond as you directed. However, this is the internet with all different personalities and viewpoints.

I once read that the only person we can control is ourselves. How others respond on this forum is never really going to change. People come from different places in life and deal with things differently. I think the diversity of opinions and behaviors exhibited here are indicative of the world we live in.

I admire your wanting to make things better. I just don't think it would work....

Trying to control others is generally a waste of time imo.

Honored Contributor

It has been my experience with family and friends who never let go of grudges and hard feelings, they are also never without drama in their lives.   

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Trying to control others is generally a waste of time imo.

Yes it is and inevitably useless......

Signed,

A former self-admitted control freak.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Yes it is and inevitably useless......

Signed,

A former self-admitted control freak.

Too funny, I work with someone like that, I wish there was medication for that condition because it becomes quite taxing to deal with, lol.

Respected Contributor

I lived in Message Board Dramaville for years - and was a willing participant.

However, I like to think that I have grown and changed and hope to not detour down that road again. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Hi Moonchilde!  Smiley Happy   I understand your point.   Of course, I think we both know that it will never happen but I sure don't begrudge you trying.

The thing that I have always found amusing is that this is the only board, out of quite a few boards I've frequented over the years and continue to frequent, that is like that.     

The only reason I've always come around here is that there are several people I really like so I try to ignore all the childish krap.   I've been here for over 12 years and I know many others have been here for a lot longer than that.   If it weren't for the nice people I'd have been gone a long time ago and I suspect that applies for many others.  Smiley Happy   

Hi @chickenbutt,

No, I don't expect it to happen either.

I don't think it's an adult thing to do - whiz in the cornflakes just because you can and for no other reason than to say "I don't like you!" There are those who are not my favorite people but I don't go around deliberately engaging them off-topic to tell them so. I have seen this happen, literally.

IMO the reason it goes on is because the moderation has limitations (which limitations are not under the control of the moderators). So, we live with it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

No offense Moon, but who are you to dictate what everybody should and should not do?

Who made you board monitor, and who gave you the authority to set the rules around here?

You do realize that you can't control what everybody else does, only what you do, right?

Don't let what others do bother you so much.

Peace, out.