Respected Contributor

It seems like this is the way things are going anymore. Not a lot of respect for people or their property. I don't see it getting any better. I'm old(er) and if we had done something like that we would have been in BIG trouble and made to apologize. It's too bad. I can't imagine what it will be like in 5 or 10 years from now.

Valued Contributor

Put up a big bright sign near the entrance saying "THANK YOU FOR VISITING AND BEING IN MY VIDEO".  Bet they won't be back after seeing that!  And if you do put up a video cam make sure it is high enough and not where someone can climb to reach it.

Trusted Contributor

Do you know the Mom of this boy? If so, I would want to know if my child was out stealing from the neighbor's yard. And it sounds like he was proud of it too! 

Honored Contributor

I would be ****** , go knock on the boys door,find out how they got them,that is stealing.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@Carmie:  Now you’re just showing off !!   Hahaha

...and rightfully so, your melons are beautiful !

Respected Contributor

@Carmie   Those are beautiful plants!  

Respected Contributor

You should have told him they taste much better if obtained legally.

Super Contributor

You can find a water motion detector online.  It hooks up to your hose and shoots water at whatever has caused motion in its field of vision.  It is used to deter deer.  Let the "Little Darling" go home soaking wet and explain that to his mother.  If she comes to the house, explain that he stole the previous melons and trespassed again.  

Honored Contributor

@Spacrazy @Allegheny   I got the plants for free.  The grocery store had a sign up that said, veggie and herb pants " free". I guess that was better then throwing them out. This was in July.

i got 4 green pepper plants, 4 parsley,  2 basil and 6 melon plants.

The instructions said to plant one melon in a 5'x5' square for each plant.  I planted all six in a 40 inch by 5 ft spot and hoped for the best.  They seem to doing great and you can't beat free. The best part is, they keep the weeds down in that area.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  OMG!  If I was you, I'd march myself over to their house and ask them to bring the kid in on this conversation.

Obviously, it's not like this food was to keep them from starving.  It sounds like they just decided to help themselves to your food.

If you aren't upset by this....I'm sorry but I think you should be.

I'm the lady that believes there's a lesson that could be learned (mother and kid) and taught (you).

That's stealing!  Plain and simple, it's stealing.  

I can't stand people who steal and help themselves to other people's things.

Don't anyone give me bla bla about neighbors.  If they were good neighbors they wouldn't have stolen from the OP.

We have a saying out where I live.  You stay in your yard unless invited and I'll stay in mine. 

One of my neighbors helped himself to my wagon that fits on the back of my riding lawnmower.  The only way I knew was because I saw him putting it back.  His son does a lot of things for me.  I pay him for everything he does.

We are all friends here.  However, I told the father that if he wants to borrow the cart; please text or call me so when I see it is missing I don't think it's been stolen.

He got the message and we are all still really good friends.  Like I always say, there are two ways to say something.  It's always better to be kind but let someone know you weren't please with their conduct.  Otherwise, they'd just keep doing it.

I really believe what happened with the OP and the kid is one of the problems with society today.  There are no boundaries.  That mother is going to regret for allowing the child to steal and eat the food.

So, all of your hard work went in their trash?  I'm sorry.  I know it isn't easy to grow any kind of fruit.  I once tried to grow watermelons.  They key word is 'tried'.