Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

I would call the police and ask that someone go out and at least talk to the kid, that might send a strong message for him to stay off your property.  A friend had to do this with a neighbor kid, the Police Officer was very nice and just spoke kindly and gave the troublemaker some friendly advice and she's had no problems since. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt   I don't know who this child is or where he lives and have not seen him before or since.

Honored Contributor

Re: Stolen cantaloupes

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

My daughter and Granddaughter were here last evening.  They water my plants while I am away.  This year, I planted cantaloupes. I got six plants for free in July.

Because they were planted late in the season, we haven't had any to harvest yet, but last night we counted 10 that are quite large and are almost ready. My granddaughter is very excited to pick them. There are many baseball and smaller size ones that will take a while.

I was just outside watering and cutting back the flowers on my basil and chives and removing a few weeds when a boy (maybe about 10 years old ) on a bicycle stopped at the curb and yelled.  " Your cantaloupes taste terrible."

I asked how he knew.  He said he tasted one and his mother had to throw away the rest of them.

I counted my cantaloupes and there were only seven large ones there.  That means either he or someone in his family stole three of them.

My small garden is not that close to the street.  That means someone had to walk in and across my yard and take cantaloupes late last evening.  I can't believe the nerve of some people.

I have strong portable plastic fencing that's 4 ft tall.  I guess I need to install it today.  It's a pain to have to remove a section every time I need to get into the garden, but at least I won't have people taking produce and throwing it away.  

They could have at least waited until the fruit was ripe.  Scheech.

FOOL THIS KID. Try sprinkling diatomaceous earth all over your fruit and the kid will think it’s something harmful and leave your fruit alone. It’s a white powder. Just rinse your fruit off in your house when ready to harvest. Don’t use on your unpollinated plants because DE can kill insects by drying them out internally (desication). It is completely harmless the humans and pets and can be rinsed away so as not to hurt insects once you harvest. . Just rinse any unwanted DE off anything. It is even edible and is used in toothpaste. You can buy it on Amazon. 

Respected Contributor

@Carmie 

How are your cantaloupes doing?  

I was thinking about them the other day after eating some cantaloupe.  Sadly both two I purchased this year were not so good. I might give it another go, but will try to find one that is locally grown.

One of my cats loved cantaloupe.  She would be at my feet begging when she saw me cutting one up.  For several years after she passed I avoided buying cantaloupes because it reminded me of how much I missed her.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie , there are no words.  Trespassing, stealing and then showing up to complain about the quality of what was stolen.  Good grief.  🙄 LM

Honored Contributor

The  very notions of honesty, truth, and integrity are at a very, VERY low ebb at present. 

I am heartily sorry for us all that we can no longer trust.

In fact, I wonder if there is any way that children can be taught these intangibles in a world where selfish, negative behavior appears to be so often rewarded.

Esteemed Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Do you have flowers growing in the garden as well?  or is it just a fruit n veggie garden?  At around 10 yrs. old kids do go out xploring in their neighborhoods.  But for him to return to the scene of the crime is what I find most bizarre.  If he was on a bike he's nearby, I think I would have watched where he rode off to.

I remember me and my best friend (as young kids - maybe around that age) noticed flowers growing in the backyard of a neighbor that lived several houses away.  Me and my friend ventured back there and each picked some flowers.  Well the woman saw us and came out of her house and proceeded to confront us and boy did we take off.  We RAN home. 

This woman then came to our street and proceeded to knock on several doors enquiring about 2 young girls who picked her flowers.  We stayed mum (no pun intended).  But I think I learned my lesson there.  Scared us so.

So I don't actually fault the kid as he may not have been the one to pick them, sounds more like the mother may have noticed the fruit growing.  Now if the mother told her son to pick them - thats another story.  Thats definitely wrong.  But kids will be kids.

I'm sorry, this is not funny, but I was amused. To think you steal something ,then go back and complain about  it, is just not too smart, There's a problem with rearing this child, either he's slow or has never been taught not to steal. When I read this I had to laugh, it's so unbeliveable. My Son knew at a very early age not to steal 

@HLP wrote:

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Do you have flowers growing in the garden as well?  or is it just a fruit n veggie garden?  At around 10 yrs. old kids do go out xploring in their neighborhoods.  But for him to return to the scene of the crime is what I find most bizarre.  If he was on a bike he's nearby, I think I would have watched where he rode off to.

I remember me and my best friend (as young kids - maybe around that age) noticed flowers growing in the backyard of a neighbor that lived several houses away.  Me and my friend ventured back there and each picked some flowers.  Well the woman saw us and came out of her house and proceeded to confront us and boy did we take off.  We RAN home. 

This woman then came to our street and proceeded to knock on several doors enquiring about 2 young girls who picked her flowers.  We stayed mum (no pun intended).  But I think I learned my lesson there.  Scared us so.

So I don't actually fault the kid as he may not have been the one to pick them, sounds more like the mother may have noticed the fruit growing.  Now if the mother told her son to pick them - thats another story.  Thats definitely wrong.  But kids will be kids.

I'm sorry, this is not funny, but I was amused. To think you steal something ,then go back and complain about  it, is just not too smart, There's a problem with rearing this child, either he's slow or has never been taught not to steal. When I read this I had to laugh, it's so unbeliveable. My Son knew at a very early age not to steal 

@HLP- I know, right? Stealing something and then complaining about its quality is so ridiculous it's amusing. I think perhaps the mother did have the kid steal it. I think he wanted to see if he could get away with it so he came back. Wait, does that even make sense? Or then again, who knows how terribly stupid these people are?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

I would have said oh no you ate those!I just found out those are poison! 🤣

On a serious note I am sorry you have to deal with this family of thieves!🙁

OMG @Pqfan I was just thinking the same thing! Either saying that there is poison on them, or that some deer had come around and peed all over the fruit plants. Watch a child turn green lol

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@Carmie 

How are your cantaloupes doing?  

I was thinking about them the other day after eating some cantaloupe.  Sadly both two I purchased this year were not so good. I might give it another go, but will try to find one that is locally grown.

One of my cats loved cantaloupe.  She would be at my feet begging when she saw me cutting one up.  For several years after she passed I avoided buying cantaloupes because it reminded me of how much I missed her.

My husband and I are away for vacation.  My daughter called this evening and asked how to tell if the loupes are ripe enough for picking.  She  is watering my garden.

She picked the first one and I told her to eat it.  She said it smelled sweet and delicious.  There are a few more that are almost ready.  We will be home on Sunday and I hope to get to try one for myself.

I hope you get a sweet one next time.  

My little friend has not been back since he helped himself green cantaloupes.  I guess he won't be back since my cantaloupes taste horrible.

Super Contributor

We have to contend with critters here, not scuzzy thieving neighbors.  Maybe because our produce plants are in pots on our deck.  That stinks.  And to make that comment - total sense of unashamed entitlement!!!