Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

It seems like this is the way things are going anymore. Not a lot of respect for people or their property. I don't see it getting any better. I'm old(er) and if we had done something like that we would have been in BIG trouble and made to apologize. It's too bad. I can't imagine what it will be like in 5 or 10 years from now.

@catter70   There are still good people!

Just yesterday I reiceved a bag of home grown tomatoes that was attched to my front door handle.  I have no idea who they were from and I asked several neighbors and it wasn't from any of them....very strange but nice.

Honored Contributor

I do not understand why people think they can come on your property and help themselves to your stuff, regardless of whether it’s cantaloupes, flowers off your porch, garden statues, etc.   

Our property is posted with Private Property and No Trespassing signs.   The last time we had a garden was around 2007, and “someone” stole an entire row of onions and about 5 lbs of yellow tomatoes.   We think it was one of our neighbors down the road, who used to stop often and talk to my husband.  

Several years after that incident, the man stopped and asked my husband why he wasn’t putting out a garden anymore.   My husband told him the truth, which was the fact we feel our soil is contaminated from the spray used by the power company to kill foliage under the right of way.   Since we suspected this guy of stealing from us, my husband stretched the truth, and could tell from the questions asked, this guy had some concerns.  He hasn’t stopped here since then.

Truthfully, the spraying was done years after the stealing incident, but we did lose both of our seemingly healthy outside dogs to cancer, within 6 weeks of each other.  We do not dig, or plant anything in the ground here now.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe the family needed food.

Be glad they didn't take all of them.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Do you have flowers growing in the garden as well?  or is it just a fruit n veggie garden?  At around 10 yrs. old kids do go out xploring in their neighborhoods.  But for him to return to the scene of the crime is what I find most bizarre.  If he was on a bike he's nearby, I think I would have watched where he rode off to.

I remember me and my best friend (as young kids - maybe around that age) noticed flowers growing in the backyard of a neighbor that lived several houses away.  Me and my friend ventured back there and each picked some flowers.  Well the woman saw us and came out of her house and proceeded to confront us and boy did we take off.  We RAN home. 

This woman then came to our street and proceeded to knock on several doors enquiring about 2 young girls who picked her flowers.  We stayed mum (no pun intended).  But I think I learned my lesson there.  Scared us so.

So I don't actually fault the kid as he may not have been the one to pick them, sounds more like the mother may have noticed the fruit growing.  Now if the mother told her son to pick them - thats another story.  Thats definitely wrong.  But kids will be kids.

I'm sorry, this is not funny, but I was amused. To think you steal something ,then go back and complain about  it, is just not too smart, There's a problem with rearing this child, either he's slow or has never been taught not to steal. When I read this I had to laugh, it's so unbeliveable. My Son knew at a very early age not to steal 

Esteemed Contributor

It's the sense of entitlement that is so prevalent today. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

It's the sense of entitlement that is so prevalent today. 

@esmerelda 

I don’t look at things in that light

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@MaryLamb   Well, that was clever. Sometimes you just have to do something or go nuts.

My father loved his tomatoes and he planted them well into his 80's.  He was so proud of them and would call my daughter to come and take pictures of him with his crop.  He had polio when he was 6 months old and was severely crippled...both legs.  He would crawl on the ground to work in his small patch garden when he could no longer stand up.

Once when I went to visit him, his neighbors ( two older ladies) asked me to come over and speak to them.  They told me that the teenage girl who lived across the street was pulling his tomatoes off of the vine and smashing them.  They said my father confronted her and told her she could take what she wanted to eat, but not to destroy them.

They also told me she pushed him and he fell down and then she made fun of him.  He was 85.

Well, to say I was livid was an understatement.  Just about then, the girl was coming out of her house and I confronted her. I am 5'1" and she was taller and heavier.  I told her that if she set foot on my father property or touched him that I would kick her bottom all over the neighborhood.

She said she was a minor and only 15 and I couldn't touch her.  I told her I could do whatever I pleased and that it would be my word against hers.  I also told her I had two witnesses, the two older ladies, who would testify that she attacked me and I had to defend myself.  We were screaming at each other in the street and then I told her to run away.  I said I was losing control of myself and I would beat her silly if she didn't.

Well, she ran.  The two ladies told me she was terrorizing all of the old people in the neighborhood.  Shortly thereafter, she and her family moved away.

When I told my DH what happened and how I handled it, he just about fell over.  He was a police officer in that town.  Honestly, I was looking for an excuse to beat that girl down for a few minutes.  I was that angry. Thank goodness I didn't have to.

@Carmie...I too am glad you didn't have to beat the girl, but I'm glad you scared her so much the family moved away. 

Woman Very Happy

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma   I certainly didn't want to beat anyone, but I was so upset and angry that this kid hurt my father physically and then humiliated him and was quite smug about getting away with her crimes because of her age.

The family didn't move because of me or this incident.  They actually were only renting the home for a short time.  The house used to belong to my sister.  She sold it to an investor who turned it into two apartments and rented to less than nice people it seems. There were always problems from the people who lived there and the neighborhood.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma   I certainly didn't want to beat anyone, but I was so upset and angry that this kid hurt my father physically and then humiliated him and was quite smug about getting away with her crimes because of her age.

The family didn't move because of me or this incident.  They actually were only renting the home for a short time.  The house used to belong to my sister.  She sold it to an investor who turned it into two apartments and rented to less than nice people it seems. There were always problems from the people who lived there and the neighborhood.

@Carmie...Sorry, I misunderstood.  I certainly can understand your outrage for the way the girl treated your father, it was assault and had it been reported that girl and family would have been in a lot of trouble.  In any case I'm sure most people were happy to see the family move away.  

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

I garden and raise a few food items each season.  I would really be angry.  We have to plant the garden, and then the watering, weeding, waiting, waiting for the first blossom, then watching every day as the blossom develops into the fruit, i go out several times a day to watch  the fruit or veggies grow!  Lol.  I know I can count the days until the first harvest. When the grands were young we planted together.  They would be excited to get te first tomatos.  They were excited to grow food they didnt even like because they were proud of growing it.

to have someone steal so many melons.  Wow.  Not only brazen, but the fact he taunted you so rudely worries me.  To take one melon and eat them is one thing.  But to take so many, not knowing of they are ripe or not, then complain to you.  Why would he talk to adult like that???  Tells me he is bold, rude and walks a fine line.  Hard to know if he knows what he has done, Or feels entitled .  Might be a future criminal in the making.