Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I now understand why people threw themselves off of buildings after the great crash in the 1920's.

Seriously? 

Not me. I have never had nor will I have any intention of killing myself over money. I guess when you live without much of it for long enough, you easily see that life goes on, and happiness abounds in the simple and free things. 

It's not a joy to struggle, especially for long years or as one get's older, but it certainly isn't worth killing oneself over.

Honored Contributor

Re: Stock Market

[ Edited ]

In terms of new COVID infections, as a country we have not yet made it out of Phase 1.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday's announcement of a projected additional 100,000 deaths sometime in Sept. plus Treasury Sec's comment that he wouldn't close economy again probably is the cause.  The markets are wildly swinging (I'm heavily invested) but I try to remember my Dad's statement "it's only a paper loss unless you sell".

Honored Contributor

Re: Stock Market

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Has there been some national or world event of which I'm unaware to cause this?

@Kachina624, this gave me a chuckle, given the world we're now living in.

It's been a wild ride and will likely continue to be so. We didn't panic in the past, and we won't do so now. Given our age, we already have a fairly conservative portfolio but have recently moved more into cash reserves.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3    I heard on TV last night that economists think it will take about 13 years for the economy to fully recover.  Of course new disasters could hinder that.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I now understand why people threw themselves off of buildings after the great crash in the 1920's.

Seriously? 

Not me. I have never had nor will I have any intention of killing myself over money. I guess when you live without much of it for long enough, you easily see that life goes on, and happiness abounds in the simple and free things. 

It's not a joy to struggle, especially for long years or as one get's older, but it certainly isn't worth killing oneself over.

@Mominohio 

I'm sorry that you can't empathize with how hopeless the must have felt to make that decision to end their own live.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@suzyQ3    I heard on TV last night that economists think it will take about 13 years for the economy to fully recover.  Of course new disasters could hinder that.

@Kachina624, I have not heard predictions of that length. I wonder what went into such a forecast. But really, we do have to take economic crystal balls, for better or for worse, with a gigantic amount of salt.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg Investors selling their winnings from days before pending downturn due to hightened covid numbers

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 It looked like covid infection numbers have increased so I think investors sold their stocks before their value decreased.

Honored Contributor

The whole story about suicides and people jumping out of windows in 1929 is a myth.

Safe link to history.com.