Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter : We pay income tax on our social security disability checks. Southern Bee

Respected Contributor
LOL Hey, originally there were going to be TWO checks, April and May--to everyone. But rather than being over-generous, there was squabbling over sending checks to "those who don't need them." Also, that $200 per month to be added to monthly SS checks for the remainder of the year was in the original proposal, but shot down by the ones who hold the purse strings.

@CelticCrafter

You might want to re-read my post. I think I said that SS recipients pay taxes, too.

What worries you masters you.
Regular Contributor

People receiving Social Security have to pay taxes on it AND have to file taxes.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Well, hopefully, those who need it,

"the checks in the mail!"

...and I'm not complaining, not one bit. I could use any amount sent to me at this point.

@on the bay 

Honored Contributor

I have no idea and don't know what to think about what I read. It would seem to me that those who are living on their social security would need financial assistance desperately. They, I would think are certainly low income, I truly hope those folks get a check. JMO, I know many will probably disagree. 

Honored Contributor

@beatlefan :What I understand- if you are age 65 and your SS check falls under a certain amount ($500-  not sure) you don't have to file income tax. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@beatlefan wrote:

People receiving Social Security have to pay taxes on it AND have to file taxes.

This is the type of misinformation I hate to see here. At a time like this people need the truth, facts.

Honored Contributor

Hi @on the bay 

I was referring to gas taxes/and other fed/state type of taxes. Buy gas? Pay taxes, and that includes some some of our utilites.

Income I understand, but my pension does not come tax free, and it includes the fed. My opinion is that anyone that has paid income tax, and/or has it taken out of their pension, should qualify.

Probably many different opinions, that just happens to be mine.

hcknut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Stimulus check question

[ Edited ]

I believe the stimulus amounts are based on what a person pays in income tax and not what they pay out in other taxes, such as sales or property taxes or those ones you mentioned. @hckynut 

Respected Contributor

Re: Stimulus check question

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Why would retired people get a check?  How have we been affected by loss of anything.

Believe it or not, @Mmsfoxxie, we have bills to pay and jobs too.  We do not live off the land....  Get real for goodness sake.

@KatieB 

If you are retired & still make enough money to file a return you should be eligible for it the way I understand it.

If people are not filing a tax return our government feels you are no longer contributing to society so not eligible???

@Nightowlz   I think you are partially correct.  The way I understand it is that if you file a tax return, yes, you will get a check if your income was less than $75K.  

To get the the check, you must file a tax return this year whether you have any tax liability or not.  Then you would receive the stimulus check this year.  

No mention is made as to the fact of whether or not 'you are contributing to society' as you put it.   I do not think your contributions to society or lack thereof is a factor.

@KatieB 

Not sure how you file a tax return with nothing to put on it?

Contributing to society is how I feel it works I know it's not part of their deal but IMO that's why.

If you have a social security number you can file a tax return. Zero is a valid number.  I have in the past when I had no tax liability...  A lot of people have an income but have no tax liability.