Honored Contributor

Re: Stimulus check question

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee 

I wonder why those getting under 40,000 won't get anything.

edited to add-yes now I think they willSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor
I read that people between $75k-$99k income would get a reduced amount but never heard what the amount would be. Over $99k would not qualify for anything.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think they should use last year's tax return and not 2018.  That would ensure people would file immediately if they haven't already.  I know an extension has been given, but it could still get people filing right away.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor
They have extended the filing deadline to July 15
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass 

You mentioned that "everyone" would get a stimulus check..

Not so........my husband and I are among millions of people who won't get one because of the income limits.

It's primarily aimed at people whose earning and spending power has come to  a sudden, screeching halt. 

The amount of a check will differ, with single tax filers getting less than joint tax filers.

If people can't pay off their car loans, pay rent to landlords, meet mortgage payments, buy goods and services from other people, the banking system and our entire economy will go down the drain.

I

Honored Contributor

If they filed a tax return even under $40,000 they will get a check.  The closer to the 100,00 income level it will start to phase out.  From what I read checks should arrive in May.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Social security payments will increase by $200

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@SilleeMee 

I wonder why those getting under 40,000 won't get anything.

@on the bay  

I don't know. But that was what I heard on one news report when the first stimulus package was in the works, before it was shot down. Like I said, things could be different with the second round. I sure hope so. I also heard there will be $500 given per child but I don't know if there are income restrictions there or not.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@depglass 

You mentioned that "everyone" would get a stimulus check..

Not so........my husband and I are among millions of people who won't get one because of the income limits.

It's primarily aimed at people whose earning and spending power has come to  a sudden, screeching halt. 

If people can't pay off their car loans, pay rent to landlords, meet mortgage payments, buy goods and services from other people, the banking system and our entire economy will go down the drain.

I

@novamc1 No one in our family (adult children included) will receive a check either and I completely agree with you that it should go to those who have been greatly affected to the point that they cannot pay their rent, buy food or other essentials.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJI also lost alot of my money in my 401k, and it really smarts.  I for one will be very grateful to receive a stimulus check.  My husband and I are both retired and worked hard for many years.