Honored Contributor

Re: Still looking for your favorite grocery store item???

WSJ  July 6, 2021

Supermarkets are stocking up on everything from sugar to frozen meat before they get more pricey, girding for what some executives anticipate will be some of the highest price increases in recent memory.

Some supermarkets said they are buying and storing supplies to keep their shelves full amid stronger demand. Grocery sales in the U.S. for the week ended June 19 rose about 15% from two years earlier and increased 0.5% from a year earlier, according to Jefferies and NielsenIQ data.

Stockpiling by food retailers is driving shortages of some staples, grocery industry executives said, and is challenging a U.S. supply chain already squeezed by transportation costs, labor pressure and ingredient constraints.

The move is a reversal from last year when consumers hoarded groceries because of concerns about food availability, disrupting the food industry. Now, retailers themselves are stockpiling to keep costs down and protect margins.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Not only does grocery prices continue to climb, but package(s) amount is decreasing.  On the news last night, they called it the shrinkage factor.  Pay more for less quanity.  They say you're quick to notice a price increase but not if the package is smaller with less product in it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't like they don't stock the larger quantities. I always buy the large bags of frozen blueberries. Now all I can get is the smaller bags with a limit of 6. Every time I go to the store now I have to buy 6 bags even if I don't need them yet just to stay in stock at home.

Just picked up a grocery order this morning. I needed fresh fruit. My fruit alone was $60 for bananas, nectarines, strawberries, apples, watermelon, lemons & frozen blueberries?

There was quite a few shortages on Walmart site last night when I placed my order.

Honored Contributor

I haven't been able to get certain dog treats at Chewy's for many months.  They're probably gone forever.

Honored Contributor

These shortages must be regional.  There has never been any in my neck of the woods, So. Joisey.

Joisey is a farming & dairy state.  "Staple" food items at grocery stores the prices are the same.  However, everything else is sky high at grocery stores.

Farmers markets (one on every corner Smiley LOL ) the prices are still quite low.  And if you're lucky enough to find an indoor/outdoor farmers market w/freezers/fridge you can still find steaks (rib eye, T-bone, porterhouse) for $7.99 - $12.00 a lb.

Local butcher shops meats prices are now a morgage payment. Smiley Surprised

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Had a difficult time finding boxes of  Tapioca for pies. Found some  at Amazon, but think that  they had some shifty 3 rd party vendors  selling it at ridiculous prices

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

Not only does grocery prices continue to climb, but package(s) amount is decreasing.  On the news last night, they called it the shrinkage factor.  Pay more for less quanity.  They say you're quick to notice a price increase but not if the package is smaller with less product in it.  

@ScrapHappy   Interesting.

We noticed a package of salad greens had the same price but the bag was not filled -the top of the bag was actually flat compared to fully being filled out before.

I look at items even if not buying because it gives me an idea where some produce is heading.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

My local Wal-Mart is notorious for  not keeping up with the demand of its store.  If I can't find something (so far), it's a WM issue as I've been able to find things I can't find at WM elsewhere.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@quilter61, I've been buying Nabisco cinnamon graham crackers and honey graham crackers almost every week at my local grocery store (St. Louis area). I don't think they've been discontinued.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I haven't been able to get certain dog treats at Chewy's for many months.  They're probably gone forever.

There's been shortages of pet food at many of their warehouses.  My recent order traveled cross country in high heat and I contacted Chewy and told them I would not accept that shipment.  My orders had always come from a warehouse very close by. Pet food, the wet type, is perishable.  As a result, we are constantly on the hunt locally and it is quite difficult as shelves have huge gaps and it's all the type of pet food that we need.