Honored Contributor

As other posters have stated, I wear a mask at the doctor's office.  It is up to the individuals and their health issues, age, if they choose to wear a mask.  I see nothing wrong with people protecting themselves.  I will leave it at that.

Valued Contributor
Forgot to mention that hand washing with soap is also essential or using antibacterial sanitizer in a pinch.

COVID is still with us. I'd rather be safer than sorry as I'm immuno-compromised.

Esteemed Contributor

I wear mine on and off depending on the situation.  I live in a retirement community with a vulnerable population.  Masks have been required until very recently.  If there’s a Covid outbreak they will be required again.  We had a Covid outbreak a couple of months ago where 53 residents came down with it.  All activities were cancelled, and masks were required until the numbers came down.  Employees and visitors are still required to wear masks.  

Respected Contributor

Not often where I'm not required to.  Public transit mostly.  It being an enclosed space with Many Many people staying longer than the dreaded 15 minute deadline before they reach their destination.  I wear displsable gloves too. Just as likely to pick up something from holding a rail or pushing the stop button as breathing something in.

I DO wear a mask if I Am the one who is feeling "off"  or sneezing.  I figure at least it 'll catch the Big stuff and I'm less likely to inadvertantly spread anything through touch.  Covid isn't the only bug out there.

I like the Idea of using the masks against Pollen.

Thanks to whoever posted that nifty idea!

Regular Contributor

Re: Still Wearing Masks?

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree

Some people may be wearing masks outdoors at this time of year to try to help with pollen. Allergy season here has been very extended due to the unseasonably warm temperatures this year. I've kept a mask in my pocket and have had to wear it a couple of times this season while out exercising for just this reason. Just a thought.

[edited to fix tagging/spacing]

Trusted Contributor

I still wear a mask when I'm out and about it doesn't bother me, it's a habit now and I like that extra protection.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I still wear a mask most places. My husband and I are definitely in the minority though. I have respiratory issues so I'd rather wear a mask than get sick. Definitely don't want to end up in the hospital or be intubated. My husband wears one to protect me and his 92 year old mother. 

The only time I take mine off in public is when I am the soloist at church or when eating out. We waited over a year and a half until we were vaccinated & the initial COVID virus had mutated to something less deadly before returning to both of these activities. My doctor is not thrilled about me singing without a mask, and to be honest, it worries me sometimes. I'm rather surprised I haven't picked it up there yet, as many at my church & in the choir have had various COVID variants. 

I broke my mask wearing rules once and paid the price. Finally got COVID in January 2023. I didn't wear a mask in the car with my sister one day. She had COVID, didn't know it, & didn't have symptoms yet. We both got it a couple days later. I was sick for a month. My husband & I wore masks around the house, and he never got it from me! This experience proves to me that masks can protect the wearer and those around them. I learned my lesson. I wore a mask in the car the other day with my sister. 

Respected Contributor

I wish to goodness I had worn one when I went to physical therapy back last November. My husband and I even before Covid didn't go out and do a whole lot, but after the pandemic hit we were practically hermits. But then I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and decided to venture out and try therapy. I threw caution to the wind and didn't wear a mask. I can't prove that I got it there but I certainly believe that's the case. It was awful!!!   

Honored Contributor

Re: Still Wearing Masks?

[ Edited ]

Recently, I ate inside a restaurant for the first time since the pandemic began.   Never took a mask into the restaurant, ate my meal, chatted extensively with the server and felt a wonderful sense of liberation.  However, about four days later I did come down with a bit of something (did not test for Covid) but it could be any one of several viruses that I've kept at bay the last several years.

However, I still wear a mask when I shop for food or go to Walmart, etc.  I'm inching closer to total freedom but because of my advanced age and several health issues, it is wise for me to be cautious.

Last September, I attended a county fair and everyone was maskless. Me, too.   At that time in the pandemic, I felt I had entered a time machine and the pandemic had never happened.

Confession:  I sold my Bruce Springsteen tickets for his March 27 show in my area.  Yes.  This could be his last tour.  I might not make it until the next time he tours.  Still... I listened to the good sense of one of my sons.   When I bought the tickets last July and I still was refusing to eat in a restaurant, my son asked me how I could refuse to eat in a restaurant but would enter an inside venue with 20,000 people.  Son was right, of course.  Naturally, Bruce gave a brilliant show in D.C.  Dang.  Can't have it all.

Esteemed Contributor

As my hubby has medical issues, we do still wear them in stores and if there are large crowds. Also, with the influx of many tourists from all over, we don't want to risk getting sick.