Honored Contributor

Every once in a while, I make the decision to give some jewelry away to my daughters, granddaughters, etc.  Mostly because I don't wear it anymore.  Recently it was my youngest 13-year-old granddaughter who was interested in taking a look. 

So I brought out my two jewelry boxes after having taking out some of what I still sometimes wear, which is not much.  To my surprise she picked out a rustic brown leather watch that I had worn for many years.  It had sentimental value to me.  She put it on her wrist and loved it.  Thing is, had I noticed it, it would have been one of the items I would have kept!  But it was the only piece that she wanted.  Of course I let her have it . . . after all, in probably several years they will be getting it all anyway.  She was happy and so was I . . . no regrets!!

I was just wondering if everyone would have handled this the same way.  Or if it was something you really wanted to keep, could you have found a way to explain that to her?  As I said, I'm just curious.  Knowing most of you, I tend to think you would have done the same thing I did.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTreeI love the idea of giving while you can enjoy seeing her wear what you also loved.

But I also undrstand that tiny twinge before you let that watch go.  I just hope the simple act of seeing her pleasure gives it new sentimental value for you.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@LilacTreeI love the idea of giving while you can enjoy seeing her wear what you also loved.

But I also undrstand that tiny twinge before you let that watch go.  I just hope the simple act of seeing her pleasure gives it new sentimental value for you.

@millieshops

Oh yes it does, definitely.  If she is wearing it the next time I see her, I will be smiling inside. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@LilacTree  Yes, of course!  I understand you not wishing to give up a sentimental piece, and I would have felt that way too.  Since you were no longer wearing it, though, I think now that it's gone you really won't miss it and you'll feel good knowing someone you love is already enjoying it.

I have accumulated a ton of beautiful jewelry over the last 25 years, and I've put some thought into what will happen to it after I'm gone.  Of course my younger sister is my only heir, so she will get it, but will she know the value of any of it, and will I get to see the look on her face when she wears it for the first time?  I've decided I will begin giving more of it to her now, and maybe selling some other pieces I no longer wear.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Re: Sticky situation

[ Edited ]

@2blonde wrote:

@LilacTree  Yes, of course!  I understand you not wishing to give up a sentimental piece, and I would have felt that way too.  Since you were no longer wearing it, though, I think now that it's gone you really won't miss it and you'll feel good knowing someone you love is already enjoying it.

@2blonde

I have accumulated a ton of beautiful jewelry over the last 25 years, and I've put some thought into what will happen to it after I'm gone.  Of course my younger sister is my only heir, so she will get it, but will she know the value of any of it, and will I get to see the look on her face when she wears it for the first time?  I've decided I will begin giving more of it to her now, and maybe selling some other pieces I no longer wear.

@2blonde

I sold a lot of gold jewelry that I had bought from the Q years ago in the early 90s when it was real, beautiful 14k and 18k gold.  I was still working and wore it proudly.  I had never had a lot of jewelry, even with two marriages, I never had an engagement ring. 

I received about $5,000 for the jewelry I sold (for what else? Dental work!!)  I still do miss a couple of beautiful pieces.  One especially that had been given to me by the firm at my 20th anniversary.  It was gorgeous.  I should have kept that one.

But over the years, as I said, I give jewelry away to my daughters and now my granddaughters.  As you and @millieshops said, it pleases me to see them wearing it now while I'm still here!

Formerly Ford1224
Respected Contributor

You did the right thing . . . your granddaughter is 13 years old, and if it were me, I think I would have told her the reason for your sentimentality about it, just so she knew and would  Heart  treasure it even more knowing how much it meant to you.

Honored Contributor

@alliswell wrote:

You did the right thing . . . your granddaughter is 13 years old, and if it were me, I think I would have told her the reason for your sentimentality about it, just so she knew and would  Heart  treasure it even more knowing how much it meant to you.

@alliswell

I will tell my daughter, her mom, and she can tell my granddaughter.  Good idea.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

I would have been honored to know she chose a piece so very special to me, and would have been delighted to pass that on to her.   

Respected Contributor

@LilacTree

Your post reminded me of jewelry that I received from my grandmother and aunt (both long deceased) when I was about the same age as your granddaughter.  I remember they told me a bit of the history of how they received that jewelry and why it was so special to them.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Sticky situation

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree  Yes, I guess the difference is that when you sold your gold jewelry you probably really didn't want to part with it and you were never able to see it again or even know what became of it.  At least when you give it to family, you know where it is, and you can see it on them sometimes too.  Even though I've never mentioned this to her, I've noticed that whenever I get together with my sis, she makes it a point to wear some of the jewelry I have given her!

Laura loves cats!