Honored Contributor

Re: Stephen Sondheim Singing Sondheim

[ Edited ]

He said in the documentary that he was actually hired to do both music and lyrics for Gypsy, but star, Ethel Merman said he was too inexperienced to do the music, she would only accept the job if Sondheim wrote lyrics only and the music had to be written by a more established song writer. Sondheim was highly insulted, and discussed it with Hammerstein his mentor. Hammerstein told him if you have the opportunity to write for Merman, you take it, no matter what. He listened to him, and the music for Gypsy was written by Jule Styne. and the rest is history!!

Honored Contributor

suzyQ3,

Thank you for spoonfeeding Stritch to me on that one.  Of course I've heard her do this so long ago that it is new again to my ears.  Formidable!

Shellbelle,

A resounding "yes" to your beloved tune, too!  "Somewhere" is hauntingly beautiful in its yearning.

The guy is a genius.  He captures thoughts and emotions musically.  As he stated in a video above, he is a teacher to us.  

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for a refreshing dip with a great favorite! 🌹

Dad is a fan & we sang his songs on many a long road trip.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Excellence comes along in the music field in songs written, sung and played.  There are many geniuses who have given us such superb music and certainly Sondheim is one of them.  

Esteemed Contributor

He is a master. Send in the Clowns can still bring me to tears.