Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stephen Hawking is only dead in this universe

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

We know for sure that our material bodies cease to exist in time after death and that the internal workings cease in death. What we don't know is what happens to our spiritual essence for etermity. I don't rule out any possibility because I know science has no way of studying that. It's more logical that much of our essence reappears in a new generation.

@RainCityWoman, it's certainly true that science can't study something called our "spiritual essence." It is my opinion, then, that any form of the word "logic" cannot logically be applied to said probability.

Of course, we all have our own way of explaining this whole crazy phenomenon that we find ourselves in.

Even Illogic has a certain logic to it, I think.

Honored Contributor

I personally believe there is life after death and I have big exciting plans!

Honored Contributor

I believe in life, after life. I have no idea  who goes where. That isn't up to me. Nor do I make exclamations I know that I will go to heaven...that is presumption..I wait in hope

I have always been told if we get to heaven ,we will surprised because, people will be there, we never thought would go to heaven ,and people  will be missing ,we always assumed will be there, but our biggest surprise will be, that we made it

It's better to be low key about the after life, and leave it up to the One that is supposed to decide, to do it

Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

Why do some here seem to have such rancor toward him?

Is it because he didn't espouse traditional Christian beliefs?

For me yes. I am being honest and not snarky. I realize he had his own views as his right and I have mine. 

I appreciate the honesty.

I struggle with my own animosity towards those who are aggressively Christian, so I try to understand.  The wishing him to "hell" part just seems over the top and nasty to me.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

Why is it always assumed that the Christians are the only ones who believe in the afterlife?

The very assumption that people do not like Hawking because he wasn't a believer in Christian values indicates a same dislike of those who do believe.

Let it be-belief systems are sacred across the universe; and his beliefs really are not germane to this topic.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I think Einstein was/is the whole package when it comes down to it.

As for Hawking, I didn't care for his politics or for him for that matter. I found him to be arrogant and selfish[getting married and having kids and not telling his wife he had his disease before he married her]

I will take Einstein anyday.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

We know for sure that our material bodies cease to exist in time after death and that the internal workings cease in death. What we don't know is what happens to our spiritual essence for etermity. I don't rule out any possibility because I know science has no way of studying that. It's more logical that much of our essence reappears in a new generation.

@RainCityWoman, it's certainly true that science can't study something called our "spiritual essence." It is my opinion, then, that any form of the word "logic" cannot logically be applied to said probability.

Of course, we all have our own way of explaining this whole crazy phenomenon that we find ourselves in.

Even Illogic has a certain logic to it, I think.

@RainCityWoman, for some reason, that made me smile.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Why is it always assumed that the Christians are the only ones who believe in the afterlife?

The very assumption that people do not like Hawking because he wasn't a believer in Christian values indicates a same dislike of those who do believe.

Let it be-belief systems are sacred across the universe; and his beliefs really are not germane to this topic.

@Cakers3, it appears that it's not just an assumption here. See Post#20.

Usually I would agree about beliefs not being relevant, but in this case, it is part of the topic.

Personally, I'm not upset with people who think differently than I unless they insult me for it. If someone has rancor against SH or anyone else who does not "believe," then I feel that they must have rancor toward me also. But ultimately, who cares? Smiley Happy

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I think his life story is fascinating. Not always easy to live with but I dare say most geniuses, including Einstein, are/were not easy to deal with a good part of the time. That has no impact on my respect for their accomplishments or my interest in what they have to say. Hawkins did, most definitely, have a sense of humor. I cheered for him when he got to experience zero gravity. I loved his appearance on Star Trek The Next Generation (he was a huge Trekkie). I laughed when Sheldon met Hawkins on Big Bang Theory.