Honored Contributor

Re: Stephen Hawking is only dead in this universe

I think I have discovered my problem, thanks to @dooBdoo.

Were the "marshmallow" references meant to indicate "hell"? If so, it went right over my head.

I think I need to go to bed. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I think I have discovered my problem, thanks to @dooBdoo.

Were the "marshmallow" references meant to indicate "hell"? If so, it went right over my head.

I think I need to go to bed. :-)

😁

Missing that reference would tend to make this more of a cluster than it already is!   LOL. 

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Why is it always assumed that the Christians are the only ones who believe in the afterlife?

The very assumption that people do not like Hawking because he wasn't a believer in Christian values indicates a same dislike of those who do believe.

Let it be-belief systems are sacred across the universe; and his beliefs really are not germane to this topic.

@Cakers3, it appears that it's not just an assumption here. See Post#20.

Usually I would agree about beliefs not being relevant, but in this case, it is part of the topic.

Personally, I'm not upset with people who think differently than I unless they insult me for it. If someone has rancor against SH or anyone else who does not "believe," then I feel that they must have rancor toward me also. But ultimately, who cares? Smiley Happy

@suzyQ3  Actually I was responding to post #19 where we saw the first reference to Christians.  Post #20 followed after that one.

hth

Hi, everyone!   I was trying to heart and reply earlier today and had some technical problems and then a pesky thunderstorm convinced me to log out for a while.   Think I hear thunder in the distance so I'll write this quickly.   Some of the posts here made me a little uneasy and I could see @suzyQ3's and @Ms tyrion2's points and why questions were asked, and also I understand @Cakers3's points.   I think some of the earlier "wink-wink" posts about Hawking are open to interpretation and misinterpretation.   My interpretation was that Hawking's possible descent into a "hot place" with marshmallows to toast was being met with glee...  and several reasons, including belief systems, came to mind.   I can see wishing bad afterlife activity for a small group of horrid people who did horrific things and have passed away, but can't understand adding this scientist to the group and anyway my personal faith doesn't work that way.    As for Hawking vs. Einstein, I don't see a reason to compare them as one being better than the other -- they were different, but they both were important and dedicated to their work.   Thanks for posting the thought-provoking article, @SeaMaiden!

@dooBdoo  I hope your weather is better now!!

The point I was trying to make is that many religions or belief systems, if you will, believe in the afterlife and also have their own interpretations of heaven AND hell.

The more sensitive remark would have been do posters resent Hawking because he did not believe in an afterlife without assessing the Christianity tag. 

I still think the issue regarding his belief or really lack of belief in any form of a deity really wasn't germane.  The article posed an interesting topic; whether SH ended up in an alternate universe or is just "gone and done".

Heaven and hell are not exclusive to one religion; and I for one do not believe in burning fires, either.  And I'm Catholic.  So be it.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
QVC Customer Care

This thread is closed for commenting as it has gone off topic.