Honored Contributor

Steel Magnolias star and 'Queen of New Orleans theater' Carol Sutton dead at 76 from Covid

[ Edited ]

5876DF20-727D-47CE-99CB-0EC46FE75194.jpegCarol Sutton, the actress who starred in the hit film Steel Magnolias and appeared in Queen Sugar, Ray, Monster's Ball, and The Pelican Brief, has died after a months-long bout with COVID-19

Sutton was hospitalized in recent months at Touro Infirmary in her native New Orleans while being treated for COVID-19. She passed away on Thursday night at the age of 76.

New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell confirmed Sutton’s death.

'Carol Sutton was practically the Queen of New Orleans theater, having graced the stages across the city for decades,' the mayor wrote in a statement. 

'The world may recognize her from her performances in movies and on TV - whether it’s "Treme" or "Claws," or "Runaway Jury" or "Queen Sugar" - but we will always remember her commanding stage presence, her richly portrayed characters and the warm heart she shared with her fellow cast and crew in productions such as "4000 Miles" and "A Raisin in the Sun." 

'May she rest in God’s perfect peace

Honored Contributor

Re: Steel Magnolias star and 'Queen of New Orleans theater' Carol Sutton dead at 76 from Covid

She was Nurse Pam in Steel Magnolias.

Honored Contributor

Re: Steel Magnolias star and 'Queen of New Orleans theater' Carol Sutton dead at 76 from Covid

I've seen that movie numerous times and don't recall her starring in it. She played a nurse but not a starring role.

Honored Contributor

I didn't remember her in the movie; yet, the headlines all say she starred in it.  Strange!

Honored Contributor

Have to agree, dont remember her at all, but next time it airs, woll look for her. Must have been in scenes when Shelby was a patient or working as a nurse. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is disheartening news! We have lost so many people to this insidious monster. I pray that God surrounds her loved ones with  loving arms of solace, as they begin to process this difficult time.🙏  The holidays will only further compound their grief.😞 

I am not familiar with all of her cinematic performances, but remember her in several major productions; including supporting television roles. How fitting it is that Mayor Cantrell paid homage, to such an HONORABLE lady.👍👍

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

Charlie Pride died of Covid also. Don't remember her at all. 

Respected Contributor

I really liked her. I was also said to hear that Charley pride passed from Covid.

Respected Contributor

God rest her soul but whoever wrote this press release over reached with "starred in Steel Magnolias"film as that is one of my favorite movies and I have no recollection of her.  Performed in maybe but did not star in it.